It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Behavior of Start Button
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:21 am 

Hello,

I use Windows 7 32bit with classic theme and Classic Shell with classic style.

If I decide to not replace the start button, I see the classic start button with the small Windows logo and the text 'Start'. Unfortunately, if I click on the start button, the button remains unpressed. If I replace the start button with the classic button, I see the classic start button with a small Classic Shell logo and the text 'Start'. In this case the button works as expected and looks 'pressed' when I click on the start button.

How can I combine both - the classic start button with small windows logo and the behavior of the classic start button with the Classic Shell logo?

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 am 
Site Admin

See here: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#menu_button

If you want both the correct behavior and the Windows 7 look, you need to use the Classic Shell button but replace the default icon with one that looks like Windows 7.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:53 am 

Thanks for the fast response.

Do you know which of the windows files (.exe, .dll) contains the windows logo?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 pm 

I've found it:

%windir%\Branding\ShellBrd\shellbrd.dll

I extracted the icon with 16x16 pixel. Unfortunately, Classic Shell upscales it - is there a way to force Classic Shell to use the icon without upscaling?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 pm 

16x16 is pretty small..

you would need to set the size limit to 16x16..

i really think its too small, you may have found the wrong icon file.. try looking for a bigger one.

you should have at least a 64x64, imo.. 128x128 is even better.. but you can set any icon you want to any size you want, from a tiny spot, to larger than a multi-row task bar.. I think no matter what icon you find, you'll need to adjust the size on your own..

but if its upscaling to larger than 16x16 just to be the right size, and that upscaling makes it look bad, you are likely not using the correct Icon for the purpose..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 pm 

oh i think i get it

you cant just browse to a .dll file

The Windows Start Menu Icon file has to be an image which is exactly 3 times longer than it is wide, and needs to have 3 separate image states on each 1/3 section of the single png image

it means a single .png file needs to have a Normal State, a Hot state, & a Pressed State..

look here for very cool windows Icons viewforum.php?f=18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:59 am 

Tenzen wrote:
oh i think i get it

No, I don't replace the whole button, just the small icon of the classic button (default icon is classic shell logo).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Do you use small icons in the taskbar?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 am 

i see, maybe you can try 32x32 instead of 16x16..

is the only problem that teh icon gets stretched & then looks unclear?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 am 

Yes, I use small icons.

Maybe the reason that Classic Shell upscales the icon is my DPI setting of 115%, but the original button keeps the icon untouched. Whatever, I used the 16x16 icon to create a 18x18 icon (16x16 icon + added border of 1 pixel) and as a result it looks like the original button. Now everything is fine except the bug I've already reported - do you think you will be able to provide a bug fix in the near future?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Ah, I see, the DPI would be a problem. I am using the system size for small icons, which depends on the DPI.
As for the other issue, there is no plan to release a new version for at least a month. I am working on the next major version but it is many months away.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:18 am 

Thanks for the info. It would be great if you could include a fix for this bug in the next release - even if I have to wait some weeks.