It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:51 am 

So, this is a feature I was very interested in, and after a bit of Googling, I realized it simply wasn't possible to create a legitimate separator. The Start Menu you see is simply a representation of the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder.

So I'll give you a tutorial of how I worked around this limitation.

First, here is how my start menu looks, with separator included:

Step 1: You're going to need to create a new folder in your Documents or wherever you can leave it and not delete it or move it.

Step 2: Inside that folder, make a new file. Delete the file extension (e.g. ".txt") so it's just a plain file with no extension.

Step 3: Rename your blank file to the following, without the quotation marks: " ―――――――――――――――" These characters will appear as one solid line, like you see in my screenshot. I tried using a series of dashes before, but the spaces between them were visible. Be sure to copy the few extra spaces at the beginning, that should keep your separator generally centered.

Step 4: Now, you'll need to create a shortcut of that file and move it to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu . Be sure to delete the part at the end of the file that says " - Shortcut".

Step 5: Right click your new shortcut and click Properties, then choose the Shortcut tab, then click Change Icon... Scroll over and you'll find an icon that's blank. This is the one you want. See screenshot below.

Now you should have an empty file that essentially functions as a separator. You'll be able to drag it around your Start Menu to wherever you need it. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works for me. Hope you enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:31 am 

The pinned shortcuts are stored at C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ or at C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\ClassicShell\Pinned\. So creating a shortcut named " ―――――――――――――――" in that folder with a blank icon is your separator/heading.

That is a simple but effective idea. If you put text in-between you can also categorize into groups. Looks like the headings that jump lists have.

Another option is to use a 4 KB dummy EXE that does absolutely nothing and which has a blank icon. Place it in any folder e.g. %localappdata%\OpenShell and just create a shortcut to it. This way even if the separator is clickable and selectable, it actually will do nothing/open nothing when clicked. It has an empty icon too.

Attachments:
Separator2.png
Separator2.png [ 40.03 KiB | Viewed 28904 times ]
Dummy EXE for separator (——).rar [1.42 KiB]
Downloaded 1149 times
Separator.png
Separator.png [ 105.07 KiB | Viewed 85184 times ]

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:13 am 

thanks..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:45 am 

This is actually very helpful Harry, I've been searching for a way to make my start menu more organized so this is just what I needed. Very helpful for all the work apps I have to use.

Last edited by Karrot on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:27 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:22 pm 

perfect ... just what i was looking for ... thanks *very much* for posting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:06 pm 

Thanks much, Harry! This is perfect! And your explanation is very clear to this newbie. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:41 am 

You can organize the apps on the Home screen, put them in folders, and move them to other pages, or screens.