It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

@TheCuza - give me a list of programs that don't have jumplists and those that do

@Squirrels - same thing. Also, do jumplists work for you from the taskbar?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:48 pm 

@Ivo

Not a single program has jump lists in the start menu (classic shell) yet the same programs have jump lists in the taskbar, for example Google Chrome and Firefox.
I have tried rebooting, downgrading to version 4.2.1 but nothing seems to work, i am now using version 4.2.3 again

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:45 pm 

@Ivo is there a way to control how much blur to have on taskbar and start menu. Windows 10 blur is blurred to much. On v4.2.1 I liked it how I was able to use BigMuscle AeroGlass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:49 pm 

SquirrelsMcGee wrote:
I'm getting the same problem as @TheCuza, however this was not the case when i originally upgraded to Win10, earlier today i had jump lists but now i do not. I have no idea what could have happened as I have not changed any settings or installed/uninstalled any programs. Jump lists are enabled in the classic shell settings and I am running version 4.2.3

When did you upgrade? Could it be that there was a Windows update that broke things somehow?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:09 am 

@TheCuza
I upgraded to windows 10 two days ago, I have not installed any updates for windows since.
I don't know what the problem is, as I know other people who don't have this issue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:03 am 

I just tried to wipe Classic Shell from my computer entirely and reinstall, hoping that would fix the problem.
I manually searched and deleted every file related to it.
But when I reinstalled, all my settings were still there.
Where does Classic Shell save its settings?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:08 am 

Hi,
Well, I love Classic Shell also, have since 8 first came out, and just joined this place, learning here.
Have Win 10 Pro on two HDDs now (work in a college), and will explore the Win 10 start menu, and contribute feedack to MS. On HDD2 - I will experiment with Classic Shell for 10.

Read somewhere else that all you had to do, was to download "it" - then rename the . exe file to - f.inst. anything . exe - and all will work. We shall see! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:36 am 

I upgraded a Windows 7/64 Dell to Win10. Applied Shell. Worked fine, like Win7. a day later Microsoft Update caused desktop to blank and disabled SHELL. Is Microsoft fighting SHELL?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:01 am 
Site Admin

@TheCuza: the settings are stored in the registry, in the HKCU\Software\IvoSoft key. The uninstaller doesn't remove them because it doesn't have access to the user registry for all users. Also if it does, then your settings would be lost when you upgrade to a newer version. It doesn't hurt to leave them there, but if you want to you can delete that key. You can also reset all settings from the Backup button in the Classic Shell settings.

@Clashelover49: The renaming was necessary for older version 4.1.0, which was blocked on Windows 10. And for good reason - it was not compatible :) With 4.2.0 and later it is no longer necessary.

@JStaats: What do you mean the shell is disabled? What is not working?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:20 am 

@Ivo
@TheCuza

Deleting the registry key seems to do nothing aside from remove all pinned shortcuts, no change whatsoever in terms of having working jump lists.
Can confirm that adding new shortcuts that previously had jump lists (before the issue occured), still do not have jump lists.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:24 am 
Site Admin

I found the problem with the missing jumplists for some programs like Chrome. It will be fixed in the next version.
@Squirrels: if you pin Notepad to the start menu do you see jumplist? It should work. Of course you'll have to open few text files with Notepad first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:49 am 

Notepad does not show a jumplist, even after opening some .txt files. I have opened files from both the open dialog window and through the file browser.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:56 pm 

@Ivo: I can get the Recent Files jumplist to show up for Notepad if I enable that setting in Windows. I don't think those are broken, just the Tasks jumplists.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:06 pm 

This screenshot shows that the "Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)" item is unavailable for the Settings app in Windows 10 using v4.2.3 of Classic Shell.
Every other Windows 10 app has the context menu entry for pinning to Classic Shell. Drag and drop works to create a shortcut of the Settings app, however.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:00 pm 

You can't pin it, but it you can add it to the right side of the start menu.
Open Classic Shell settings, go to "Customize Start Menu", and add "PC Settings" somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

SquirrelsMcGee wrote:
Notepad does not show a jumplist, even after opening some .txt files. I have opened files from both the open dialog window and through the file browser.

I don't know what the problem is then. Notepad seems to be working for everybody else. Maybe some OS setting is disabling the feature.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 am 

JStaats wrote:
I upgraded a Windows 7/64 Dell to Win10. Applied Shell. Worked fine, like Win7. a day later Microsoft Update caused desktop to blank and disabled SHELL. Is Microsoft fighting SHELL?
I processed the latest W10 windows update from settings and have the same problem. When I click the start button the classic shell menu flashes and then clears. I cannot process anything using this latest beta. So I uninstalled 4.2.3 and installed 4.2.1. The classic shell menu is working again but I cannot get to the start screen. By the way, many thanks for a fantastic product. It makes w8 and w10 viable. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

I just tried installing 4.2.2 and it works including support for Windows start, with no immediate issues. But just to reiterate, with 4.2.3, when I click the 'menu' window, the classic shell menu shows, windows explorer stops and the screen goes 'black', the classic shell menu disappears, and windows explorer resumes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 am 

This topic is locked now that Classic Shell supports Windows 10. Please make a new thread for your specific issue.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5