It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:13 am 

Ivo wrote:
For Windows 10 you need to use the beta version 4.2.0: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3449

Thanks! It installed fine and is far better for functional purposes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 am 

Jcee wrote:
I'm not sure exactly, but i've read that renaming the file gets it to run. try that?

Thanks by not necessary. See above,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:54 pm 

I haven't been able to see any problems with it. It even still works as well as with prior versions with an Aero Glass prototype (thanks again for the "Disable Taskbar Transparency" setting).

People are really going to want this once they figure out the search in Windows 10 start menu is a bad joke and the search doesn't target things on their computer. They'll realize Cortana is just stupid after a few minutes.

-Noel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:07 pm 

There is an option in Windows 10's Folder Options to switch back to "This PC" from "Quick Access".

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:41 pm 

Agree. I have earlier and later builds of Windows 10 and seem to work well in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
IF I want Cortana for search, it seems rather moot since Google or Bing will give me more precise control and I can then "tab" into the results to see what I may want to look at.

Vern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:44 pm 

I just installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview (Build 1049), and it was obvious I'd be needing Classic Start Menu... After installing Classic Start Menu I noticed the following errors the "Apps" sub-menu:

Anyone have any idea how to reconcile the erroneous (Error) links? Just wonder'n...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm seeing the same. You get the same error when you look for those apps in the search screen, so the problem is not related to Classic Shell.
Do you have a Microsoft account or a local account? Possibly that app requires a Microsoft account to get its information from it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:45 pm 

Yup, that's it; I'm doing this with a local account. Might be cool to slick this up a little for inexperienced Users and Admins that aren't going to use a Microsoft account, and have it display some sort of install icon -- just a thought. Who knows what all else Microsoft might add that requires you to be 'Signed In'...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:31 pm 

Here is the fix for the error: http://winaero.com/blog/mail-calendar-p ... -10-10041/

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 pm 

Thanks GauravK worked like a charm! 'Search' remains the odd out, doesn't have an (Error) next to it, but the app appears to want you to create a system level Microsoft account (something I'm loath to do).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:39 pm 

Well about that Explorer folder tree corruption issue with the Navigation pane style set to "Windows XP Classic" I observed that if you set the "tree item spacing" to 4 or higher, the icons don't get corrupted even in 'Windows XP Classic' style. But it's not a true solution.

According to Ivo, "It is something that can't be depended on. The metrics in the tree depend on many external factors – DPI, text size, icon size. The root cause of the problem is that for some reason Windows 10 sets the line height to be 8 pixels and then uses 3 lines to represent each item. In that mode the tree control can’t correctly draw the icon, so Explorer draws it manually. However that interferes with the way the control draws its lines."

Compare Start Menus

Post subject: Windows 10 Build 10061
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:01 am 

In Windows 10 build 10061 with Classic Shell 4.2.1, the Metro Apps do not show up. If I choose to show them in the menu as a list, it says the list is empty and shows nothing. In All Programs, opening the Apps folder also shows nothing.

Post subject: Re: Metro apps in 4.2.1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:18 am 

Yes in this build it is broken. Windows 10 is changing and something about Classic Shell constantly keeps breaking. Once Windows 10 is finalized, proper testing will be done with Classic Shell and whatever is broken will be fixed.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:58 am 

4.1.0 installs just fine if you use Chocolatey, though... "choco install -y classic-shell" and 1 min later you can click start, opening the classic shell menu...

The thing I do hate is the fact Windows 10 completely removes all exe's from Classic Shell's directory every time the build number updates... I just got Win10 10061 Enterprise pushed onto my pc and yet again the folder was raided... :/

On the other hand, I do not seem to be seeing any of those "bugs" you guys talk about in this version, and neither did I see classic-shell-bugs in any previous Win10 build I've had so far... (And I think I've been following rather closely, having had every beta-build in line.) It works (while the real Windows Startmenu often doesn't, even before I reinstall classic shell.) and All options seem to work just fine, except maybe for 1 small option that does nothing, but which has no real use anyway, though, and that's the changing of the metro app icons to inverted. All other options seem perfectly fine and working, and thanks to Chocolatey if I hadn't read it here I wouldn't even have known Win10 rejects the original installfile. :p

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Version 4.2.1 is compatible with Windows 10 (at least the pre 10061 builds) and won't be removed by the installer.

For build 10061 people report problems seeing the apps and problems opening the Win+X menu and the Windows start menu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:15 pm 

Well Ivo,...

When posting the previous message I didn't actually test it yet, only installed it yet again, and since everything looked fine, I figured too soon it was ok, so...

I hereby stand corrected. On build 10061 there are indeed no Apps in the appfolder, "run" does nothing, trying to open the native start does nothing,... :/

By the way, is the removal of the software done by Microsoft, or is it something coded into the program? It seems rather ridiculous that they would try to remove something like Classic Shell, while leaving the 'less innocent adaptive tools' alone... ;p

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:56 pm 

After the upgrade...

Removing and re-adding Apps to the menu structure didn't refresh the list.

10061 seems like a pretty buggy release.

-Noel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:08 am 

On my last use of Classic Shell I had a shortcut that enabled me to see and use the Windows 10 pre start menu. this shortcut is missing on build 10061. any ideas on how to get it back. I would like to play with the Win10 menu and see if I can learn how to make it usable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:10 am 

Windows 10 10061 is not supported. Classic Shell will be updated for future Windows 10 builds after it reaches a more stable state such as RC or RTM.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:37 am 

OK thanks, it did work on the previous builds and I did enjoy using it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:52 am 

I have the same problem. I would be grateful for a fix.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:47 pm 

This issue has been identified, and it will be fixed, when windows 10 is more stable (closer to release probably)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:59 pm 

Thank you. I will look forward to it and I can understand you not wanting to follow all of Microsoft's W10 changes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 am 

What I really want to see into you're new version is a possiblity to work with Microsoft Windows 10 with a new HotKey.
I really love to see the Following:
Shift Button + Start Button = Start Menu Metro Microsoft Windows 8.1, like before.
Start Button = Microsoft Windows 7 Start Button, like before.
Ctrl + Start = Microsoft Windows 10 Original Start Button, New Button.
Can you please add a Function to change the Keys to the Keys you like?

Also I really love to see that you can change the option when you click with you're left mouse button onto the Start Button.
1. Start Menu Metro Microsoft Windows 8.1.
2. Microsoft Windows 7 Start Button.
3. Microsoft Windows 10 Start Button, New Option.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:26 pm 

The windows 10 UI has a fullscreen, and a start menu variant correct? because Im fairly certain Ivo wont be re-implementing the windows 8.1 start screen in windows 10 if its not already present.
As for the hotkeys, there is already an 'Additional Start screen hotkey' setting that lets you choose a custom hotkey (its at the bottom)
though you cant set it to ctrl+click to open the menu you can set it to shift+click

Though if windows 10 has 2 built in variations; it might be time to add ctrl+click into the mix :P

though Ivo has had some hesitation about adding more keyboard shortcuts, or customization as it complicates things (atleast how its defined now)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:35 pm 

I just ment:
Keyboard & Mouse Click: Shift Button + Start Button or Left Mouse Click on Start = Start Menu Metro (Start Screen Renamed from Metro) from Microsoft Windows 10, like before (Example was Microsoft Windows 8.1).

Keyboard & Mouse Click: Start Button or Left Mouse Click on Start = Microsoft Windows 7 Start Button, like before.

NEW: Keyboard & Mouse Click: Ctrl + Start Button or Left Mouse Click on Start = Microsoft Windows 10 Original Start Button, New Button.

Can you please add this into you're new version? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:00 pm 

Classic Shell only implemented the Classic Start Menu from Windows 7 and earlier. Adding the Windows 8.1 Start screen to Windows 10 or the Windows 10 Start Menu to Windows 8.1 is not a trivial job and there is no point in having 3 launchers, so no such plans.

That said, I do agree that some functionality of the 8.1 Start screen is lost in Windows 10. It's typical Microsoft behavior - add 1 or 2 features, remove or break 10 other features.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:15 am 

I think the Windows 10 start menu is getting there. If Windows 8 had what Windows 10 has (start menu) wise, people would have been happier.
The only problem I see is that it lacks a full screen applications list. In time that may come, they seem eager to change things, for good and bad (look at the new volume adjust GUI in the insider preview).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 am 

I was running CS 4.2.0 on Windows 10 Build 10041 on VirtualBox 4.3.24 and all was well.

Then I upgraded to Build 10074, which appeared to necessitate upgrading to CS 4.2.1, so
I did that too.

However, after that the Start button responded only to mouse left clicks. Hovering, and right
and middle clicks did nothing.

I then uninstalled CS, reinstalled VirtualBox Guest Additions, rebooted, reinstalled CS, but no
change.

I attached the CS config file.

I have no idea if this is actually a CS issue and really don't care about the issue in my VirtualBox installation, but thought I'd report it for the record just in case it might be a real issue.

Attachments:
MenuSettings10074.xml [7.68 KiB]
Downloaded 6650 times

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:22 am 

FYI, 10074 has the same problem.

-Noel

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:42 am 

When you speak of corruption, could that be related to the visual noise that seems to be there in Windows Vista mode when the buttons are fading-in/out? I disabled the fade-out and things look better.

-Noel

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:42 pm 

Possible bug - I am on Win 10 build 10074 and just upgraded to CS 4.2.1. During the install it removed the StartScreen button from my taskbar, I have since put it back but it does not work anymore. Also the Icon is not the same as what is in the Start Menu of CP and StartScreen (togglenew) does not work from Start Menu either. I believe that this version of CP listed a fix for StartScreen (togglenew), not sure what happened.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:18 pm 

Classic Shell will support Windows 10 once it reaches a stable state. Right now there are so many builds coming out and something is breaking frequently.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:59 pm 

I had to pin media player to the list. not the usual windows 7 layout above the other etc windows programs like installing to windows 8 did.
But clicking the "Apps" button does not work including the "Start Screen" doesn't work either.
Windows 10 Fushionware OSX

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:39 am 

It is workable with Build 10074 but it still needs an upgrade. I am talking about 4.21

Post subject: Win+X Menu in win10
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:53 pm 

Win+X menu won't open at all when rightclicking startbutton in Classic Shell 4.2.1 in windows 10 Build 10122

I've checked the option in settings but nothing happens.
Only when closing down Classic Shell win+x menu works.
But not when having Classic Shell running.

On my win8 system it works just perfect.

Post subject: Re: Win+X Menu in win10
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:03 pm 

Its probably an incompatibility that will get sorted out later by Ivo (once windows 10 becomes more final)
For now there's not much point making changes in classic shell, only to have a new windows update break them again.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:08 pm 

Ok i see. Thanks!
This build seems a bit buggy.

Post subject: Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:32 am 

anyone upgrading to Windows 10?

anyone know anything about it?

how does it work for x64 users and accessing higher RAM?

and what limitations does it have over Windows 7 Ultimate?

its pretty sketchy.. all the specs and details pages in the windows 10 page led me to dead links and pages that cant be found..

Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:58 pm 

Ill probably be upgrading, if the upgrade is free (which they claim it will be for w 7/8)
Its suposed to be a little more efficient; particularly on low spec'ed machines (even compared to windows 8)
As far as ram goes.. any 64 bit OS should be able to handle more ram than you could possibly throw at it (128TB) This applies to windows XP-10

As far as limitations; we wont know till its final, what features they locked down, and took out... (because they might simply not have implemented them yet) It is quite probable that the windows 7 start menu wont be making a return without 3rd party help (and classic shell does currently 'work')
Aero Blur is supposedly making a return. and the new metro apps can be put into a window (both features that can already be achieved on 8 via 3rd party)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:26 am 

Corso wrote:
Win+X menu won't open at all when rightclicking startbutton in Classic Shell 4.2.1 in windows 10 Build 10122

I've checked the option in settings but nothing happens.
Only when closing down Classic Shell win+x menu works.
But not when having Classic Shell running.

On my win8 system it works just perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Build 10130 has the same problem. So for the next 30 days I'm using the Start10 trial version. I'll go back to Classic Shell after that if it works with 10. I've been using it with 8.1 since shortly after Windows 8 came out. :D

I may put the 7/29 version of 10 on one of my test desktops, but since we've got a year to get the free upgrade, I'm going to wait and see what happens. They say we can still stay with the Insider Preview, so I'll probably do that for a while. There've been so many changes to the user interface in 10, I've got a feeling that business users will be loath to make the switch. :(

In an earlier post somebody asked about what was left out of Windows 10. MS has said the Media Center will not be in 10 when it ships 7/29/15.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:37 am 

I'm using 4.2.1 on Windows 10 build 10130 on a virtual machine. Win+X and Win both work for me with Classic Shell running. However, what's missing in 10 is that the Apps menu is empty, which is isn't in 8.1. I'm signed in to a local account on both, not a Microsoft account.

wpgwpg wrote:
Corso wrote:

If you right click the Classic Shell start button you get a Classic Shell menu as always.

Post subject: Re: Windows 9
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:17 am 

dagello wrote:

General Look, plus it has app widgets. Heh.

Can someone please provide this skin for me? I really like this skin but I can't find it anywehre.

Post subject: Re: Windows 9
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:55 am 

JoshuaL2 wrote:
dagello wrote:

General Look, plus it has app widgets. Heh.

Can someone please provide this skin for me? I really like this skin but I can't find it anywehre.

It's not a skin. It's the Windows 10 Start Menu shown off by Microsoft in one of the earliest builds which changed substantially in later builds.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 am 

ooohh, i see. kk, ty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 pm 

"Apps" folder opens and works again on latest 4.2.2 release

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:07 pm 

On W10 latest build no. 10162 the Classic Shell Start Menu and Explorer settings are all working OK for me but the CS Start Menu resets back to the new style W10 start menu with tiles on every reboot. I have got around this by placing a shortcut on desktop to "ClassicStartMenu.exe" and on reboot I click on this to get the Classic Shell Menu and button back again. Hope this problem won't be permanent when W10 is officially released? What are the experiences of others here trying out W10 with the latest builds?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

If you upgraded Windows in place from older build to 10162, it is possible Classic Shell got deactivated. Uninstall it and then install it again. Let me know if that fixes the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:02 am 

Thank you Ivo, will try that today and let you know later.
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:08 am 

Many thanks for your help, I re-installed program and the problem is fixed. Donation on it's way to you via paypal as I could not compute without this wonderful program!!

:D :geek:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next