It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Search all hard drives?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 am 

I have my OS on a 256GB SSD, with a 2TB HD for most of my storage. The main search features just searches the c drive (OS) drive and doesn't search my main HD- can I change that?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Admin

If by "main search features" you mean the search box in the start menu, then no. It only searches the contents of the start menu and the programs in the system path. It doesn't even search the whole C: drive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:22 pm 

ok thanks- that is what I mean. I wished it would search more (like windows 7 does). In windows 7 it would search both hard drives for files. I would love to see that as a feature in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:28 pm 

it would be cool if it could integrate with AgentRansack/FileLocator Lite

anyway, AgentRansack is the only way to search, imo.. its built into the menu shell, & can replace the built-in Explorer search box..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:15 pm 

@Tenzen, you can add a link to Agent Ransack in the menu. There are hundreds of free tools to search. Can't possibly integrate with each one of them.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:42 am 

out of curiosity, the command is search_box, and the label is $Menu.SearchBox

what does the syntax in $Menu.SearchBox refer to, and what is its function?

and same thing with search_box, is simply having the word search_box turning it into a search field?

and is there a way to add a second search box, with command 'search_box' & something like: $agentransack.exe.SearchBox

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:53 am 

@Tenzen, just use what you would use in the Windows Run dialog to add external commands. The labels beginning with $ are there for localization purposes. They will be auto-translated when the language is changed. The commands in the dropdown are internal (special) commands.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:21 am 

ok, i see

I created a new "SearchBoxItem"

the 'command' field is automatically 'search_box', and the 'label' is '$Menu.SearchBox'

if I replace 'search_box' in the command field with anything else, the search box disappears

For example, I typed: FileLocatorPro.exe -r -s -d "C:\;D:\;E:\;G:\;I:\;J:\;K:\;L:\" and it just became a Search Button, without the ability to enter any search words, that whole text box disappeared

I'm looking here: http://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorpr ... ndline.htm

I also tried: search_box FileLocatorPro.exe -r -s -d "C:\;D:\;E:\;G:\;I:\;J:\;K:\;L:\" but that didnt do anything either

I am trying to find a way to have an Entry Search Box, which launches my Search Program, FileLocatorPro, after I enter the word I want to search & click the search icon

is this at all possible?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:54 am 

You must create a sub-item for the search box as explained in this topic: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=313. Given the number of questions you ask about features in Classic Shell, I recommend you read all of the help file in detail, follow the tooltip help in the settings UI, read the FAQ on the website, - everything is self-explanatory all of those contain lots of information. You should really take some effort to read and learn it instead of asking everything in the forum.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 am 

well thats cool, but it doesnt actually explain anything

what is the google parameter "search?q=%2" , and what is the syntax "search-ms:query=%2"

how about if someone wants to search using another program or system?

is q=%2 some sort of thing you can add to the end of anything? or query=%2?

i tried" FileLocatorPro.exe -f query=%2 -r -s -d "C:\;D:\;E:\;G:\;I:\;J:\;K:\;L:\" but that didnt work

its ok if you dont know the answer, i'm not just asking you, and I dont expect you have to answer everything..

nevermind, i figured it out

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:53 am 

Don't get me wrong. :) I enjoy replying to everyone. I am very excited that you are one of the few users taking interest in the little-used advanced features of Classic Shell. All I am saying is that the answers to many of your questions are in the help file and in the settings UI tooltips (you have to hover over each element to see the tooltip) so it will help you better understand the custom command thing. :)

search-ms: is the protocol command line for Windows Search documented on MSDN. For URL searches, the cmd is the one your web browser's address bar shows.

The command line to use for any custom item depends on the application, not on Classic Shell, so it will vary by each application. If you add sub-items for the search box, and if you use %1 in the command, it will be replaced by the contents of the search box. If you use %2 it will be replaced by the search box contents but use url-style encoding. This is mentioned in the help file's 'Search' section on the Classic Start Menu page.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:19 am 

thanks, i tried to make one method a bit clearer, in the tutorial section, here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=332

im quite excited about that feature..

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:32 am 

Well good news for you, wp746911. Now the latest public beta version of Classic Shell which is available from the home page has full Windows Search integration. Try it if you are interested.

Compare Start Menus