It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:28 pm 

I've got a setup with three monitors running Windows 8.1 and Classic Start Menu 4.1.0.
My taskbar is set to auto-hide, and to show on all displays.
Classic Start Menu is set to show the start button only on the main screen.

When I press the Windows key while the mouse is visible on the main screen all is well: The taskbar is shown (with an animation) and when it is visible the Classic Start Menu gets fully shown.

When I press the Windows key while the mouse is visible on a secondary screen there is a problem: The taskbar gets shown with an animation on the secondary screen. But when it is visible, the start menu gets shown at the very bottom of the screen. As the task bar is visible it overlaps the start menu and the lower part is not visible.
If I now press the Windows key twice fast enough, the start menu vanishes on the first press and reappears on the second one without the task bar disappearing. This time the start menu aligns with the task bar and is fully visible.

On that account: Would it be possible to always show the start menu on the main screen? I'm a keyboard centric person and when pressing the Windows button it's just not intuitive to have the menu appear on different screens based on where I last used my mouse.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:36 am 
Site Admin

You can turn off the setting "Show on all taskbars" in the Start Button tab. If only the main taskbar has a start button, the menu will show only there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:18 am 

Ivo wrote:
You can turn off the setting "Show on all taskbars" in the Start Button tab. If only the main taskbar has a start button, the menu will show only there.

That doesn't seem to be the behavior I am seeing with that option turned off. Win key still opens the Start menu on the monitor where the pointer is, even if the button is shown only on one monitor. Also, clicking in the empty taskbar area where the button was opens the Start Menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:59 am 

Ivo wrote:

If that were true I'd be happy, because that's what I want. But I can confirm the behavior GauravK describes: The Start menu always shows on the monitor where my mouse pointer is, even when opened by pressing the windows key. The buttons are not visible but there still is a clickable space that opens the start menu (for me that's not a problem).

I did reset all settings to defaults, changed just the settings "Replace Start button" and "Show on all taskbars", but still no cigar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 am 

What else could I do to get this viewed at? Is there a Bug tracker? Or would it be helpful if I provided screenshots?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 am 
Site Admin

I have made a note of the problem and will try to fix it for the next version. As of now there is no ETA on the next version. It will be after the next major update to Windows 8.1.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

The latest beta 4.2.0 fixes both problems.
If the start button is only on the main taskbar, then the start menu will show only there.
The start menu won't overlap with the auto-hide taskbar on secondary monitors.