It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:23 pm 

I have been perusing the many Classic Shell Start Menu options. I just stumbled across something I wouldn't have thought would be there. In the General Behavior tab, there is an option that is checked, that says "Check for Windows Updates on Shutdown."

I know I have never checked this. Is this simply the standard Win7 behavior, that I can turn off? I konw that Win7 will sometimes take a while after an update, before shutting down, and then pause again, before restarting to the login page. Or is this something special that Classic Shell has Windows do?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:50 pm 

This options tells the Start Menu to show "Update and shut down"/"Update and restart" commands in the Shutdown submenu. When any of them are run, Windows updates are installed before shutting down and then the OS shuts down/restarts. (Restart functionality is only available in Windows 8+). This functionality of installing updates before shutting down was also there in the Windows 7/Vista/XP original Start Menu. It's not something that Classic Shell does. It just calls a Windows API which performs the process of installing updates. If your Windows Update automatic checking settings are set to "Never check for updates" it may not work.

Also, you get no choice to select which updates to install. Windows decides that on its own, whether it installs only critical updates or recommended updates as well, depending on your Windows Update settings in the Control Panel.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:19 am 

OK. This option is enabled, but there is no such option viewable in my shutdown options in the start menu, as I have turned off automatic updates.

Thanks. I just didn't want to be changing my update habits.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Yes, if the automatic updates are disabled, this option is of limited use. It might for example show the icon for pending updates after you manually install the updates but are yet to reboot.