It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:23 pm 

I am having a bad case of the stupids, and I am unable to recall how I set up Classic Start Menu 4.0.4 (on a Windows7 sp1 laptop) so that it would work not only in an Administrator account, but also in a Standard User account, even when I temporarily give that User account Administrator privilege.

This is for a 32-bit Win7sp1 laptop that I am setting up for someone else. In my own Win7sp1 laptop, and therefore in the laptop I am setting up for someone else:

In my own laptop and in the laptop I am setting up, in the Administrator account, the Classic Start Menu is located at
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

In my own laptop and in the laptop I am setting up, in the User account, the Classic Start Menu is located at
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

What should I do to activate Classic Start Menu 4.0.4 in the User account?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:10 pm 

The Classic Start Menu should start by default on Windows 7 for all users, regardless of Standard user privileges or Administrator.

Go to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell and start ClassicStartMenu.exe. Then right click the Start button -> Settings -> Check "Show all settings". Go to the tab called General Behavior and check "Start automatically for this user".

Also open the Properties of the file, C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe and from the Compatibility tab, make sure that it is not set to Run as administrator.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:30 pm 

GauravK

Thank you! That problem is now solved.

After I had activated Classic Sstart Menu, I checked all the settings, and then backed them up to an xml file. But now I am wondering --- for future use --- how to restore a backed up xml file. I haven't seen a setting to do that.

Meanwhile, thanks very much for the help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:57 pm 

The same "Backup" button from where you saved settings to an XML has another command called "Load from XML File..."

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:32 am 

GauravK:

Thanks again. I am a bit embarrassed that I didn't see that, because it didn't occur to me that a Backup button would have a restore (Load from XML File) command.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom