It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:58 pm 

How do you customize the items in the Shutdown menu (Restart, Shutdown, Hibernate, Switch User, etc.) in Classic Shell 4? In 3.6.8, it was part of the items under "Customize Start Menu" where you could also show/hide items, rename, add icons, etc.; but now all it seems you can do is change what the default Shutdown command is under the "Main Menu" tab.

This new version is awesome and it's a big improvement over an already excellent utility. All I'm missing is this final tweak. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

The old-style customizations are only possible for the Classic styles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 pm 

In Classic Shell 4.0, the styles got renamed. What was the earlier Windows 7 style is now included under Classic with two columns style. From the Skin tab, the skin can be changed: Windows Aero, Windows 8 or Windows XP Luna. A new Windows 7 style was introduced which was closer the original Windows 7 menu. If you want to customize subitems inside main items, only the Classic styles allow that. Switch to Classic with two columns style and pick the Skin you want from the Skin tab. From Customize Start Menu of Classic styles, you can customize shutdown items.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:20 am 

Thank you for the responses. I will stick w/ the new styles for ease and to be closer to the original.

Out of curiosity, are there plans to add the option to hide some of the shutdown commands? I would like to remove "Hibernate" from the options.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am 

Do you wish to only hide hibernate or disable hibernation ability? You can turn off hibernation by typing: powercfg /hibernate off from an elevated command prompt. But note that on Windows 8, that turns off the "fast startup" feature as well.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:30 pm 

I don't want to disable it, I just want to hide "hibernate" and "sleep" from the shutdown menu.

This is not a deal-breaker, as I really like the new style. I'll live with current setup. Just wanted to know if there was any plans to add the ability to customize the shutdown options in the Windows 7 style menu.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:02 am 

In Classic Shell 4.0.4, there is a new hidden (registry-only) setting "ShutdownW7", where you can list what commands you want to see in the Shutdown menu for Windows 7 style. "ShutdownW7" is a string value which can be added to either HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings (currently logged in user) or HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu (all users). The value data must contain the commands that you want to allow. The available commands are: switch_user, windows_security, logoff, lock, disconnect, undock, restart, sleep, hibernate, shutdown. Separate the commands with a comma or semicolon. The order of commands is not important. This hidden setting is also present as a Group Policy setting called "Shutdown menu items". Restart the Start Menu for changes to take effect.

Compare Start Menus