It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 pm 

Hello,

Thanks for making Windows 8 look familiar, but there is an option which I am missing:
On XP, the folders under Programs were hidden is not frequently used. On Classic shell, it's showing me all the folders and the list is getting quite long.

Could you please implement the option to hide the folders which are not frequently used?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:19 pm 

You mean Personalized Menus. That is not planned as a feature. Instead you can use the frequently used program list in the main menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:01 pm 

No, there is nothing personal, it's a Windows XP feature:

And if I click on the 2 down arrows (the highlighted button)...

I get the full menu!

Now I have to look through the full menu.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, what you are describing is called "personalized menus" because the contents depend on your personal use.

However implementing such feature will require solving two problems - adding new graphical elements to all skins and also developing new system that keeps stats on what programs you use. I will have to reverse engineer how XP works because people will keep complaining until it works 100% exactly like it did in XP. I have no interest in solving either of those problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:33 am 

Ivo wrote:
However implementing such feature will require solving two problems - adding new graphical elements to all skins and also developing new system that keeps stats on what programs you use.

I don't think you need a new system - shouldn't the LastAccessTime help you here?

Code:
typedef struct _WIN32_FIND_DATA {
DWORD dwFileAttributes;
FILETIME ftCreationTime;
FILETIME ftLastAccessTime;
FILETIME ftLastWriteTime;
DWORD nFileSizeHigh;
DWORD nFileSizeLow;
DWORD dwReserved0;
DWORD dwReserved1;
TCHAR cFileName[MAX_PATH];
TCHAR cAlternateFileName[14];
} WIN32_FIND_DATA, *PWIN32_FIND_DATA, *LPWIN32_FIND_DATA;

Quote:
I will have to reverse engineer how XP works because people will keep complaining until it works 100% exactly like it did in XP. I have no interest in solving either of those problems.

I understand your dilemma, but if users will keep complaining until it works 100%, something ought to be done.

The issue is that the menu gets really long, after a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 am 

Why not use sub-menus? That works great for me.

Regards;

Sarris

Attachments:
menu.jpg
menu.jpg [ 45.28 KiB | Viewed 17143 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 am 
Site Admin

The Tramp wrote:
I don't think you need a new system - shouldn't the LastAccessTime help you here?

LastAccessTime doesn't work since Vista. It is not updated for performance reasons. Also the files are accessed when you just look at them in the menu, because the start menu needs to get the icon to display.
The Tramp wrote:
Quote:
I will have to reverse engineer how XP works because people will keep complaining until it works 100% exactly like it did in XP. I have no interest in solving either of those problems.

I understand your dilemma, but if users will keep complaining until it works 100%, something ought to be done.

I'm saying that if I have such feature people will not be happy until it works exactly like it does in XP. So I choose not to play.
Besides, the feature cannot be implemented in the Windows 7 style because the programs show in a tree control and not a menu. I suspect that most people use that style.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 pm 

Sarris wrote:
Why not use sub-menus? That works great for me.

That could be a solution.... but the uninstall will still work?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:15 pm 

Ivo wrote:
I'm saying that if I have such feature people will not be happy until it works exactly like it does in XP. So I choose not to play.
Besides, the feature cannot be implemented in the Windows 7 style because the programs show in a tree control and not a menu. I suspect that most people use that style.

I see...

Well I will give Windows' 7 style and see how that goes.

Thanks anyway for all what you have done - all this is better than nothing. ;)