It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:54 pm 

I didn't use this new Windows 8 system long enough to boot more than twice before installing Classic Shell so I can't say if this problem existed on this new machine or not. Problem is that after each reboot the icons all go to a state that look like part of them have auto arranged (the newest ones I have created) and some of them don't. I have set off both the AutoArange and Align to Grid option and neither helps. Happens every time I reboot. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm 

Sorry about that .... call off the troops! One or more of the 66 fixes sitting in the queue (was not autoupdating for some reason) gave my trusty little Windows 8 icons the fix they needed. They no longer object to being too close to the right margin, the task bar or do they do a side shuffle dance on each reboot. I am happy now (for the moment). I was all ready to abort my 24 hours of customization I had into this little beast but now I can keep going forward. Thanks for Classic Shell - can't imagine how anyone over 18 who is in the business world could use a new Windows 8 system without it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:06 pm 

News flash! The problem is still not resolved. There are still 8-10 icons that like to walk around the desktop at various times, mainly reboot. I give up. With a MCSE and 30 years of IT experience behind me, add to that 24 hours of labor invested in trying to make this Windows 8 machine work and I am going to put this turkey back out to pasture by returning it to BestBuy, buy a replacement mother board for the system that I was trying to upgrade, and re-install Windows 7. This OS may be cool for some youngster or an (very much LOL) older person but to me, I can see no place for this thing in anyone's office. Back to the store and let's hope this unit in the open box bin makes some lucky girl or boy really happy ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 pm 

Well the good news is you can use Classic Shell on Windows 7 as well and there in fact, it has more customizations available for the Explorer component.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.