It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Missing programs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm 

I installed Classic Shell to work in XP mode. Everything seemed fine until I went to the start menu, programs to start a program. It and many others were not there. The only solution I can think of is that I was on a 32 bit computer, may have gone to icon for 64 bit IE, while installing. which is on my regular computer. (It's being fixed, so using 32 bit laptop.)
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. What else can I do?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Missing programs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

What program are you trying to find?
The start menu shows the contents of the Start Menu folders. By convention that's where installers put shortcuts to the installer programs. Programs that you copy to your machine but don't require installation will not show up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 pm 

Do the XP Mode icons appear in Windows 7's built-in Start Menu under "Windows Virtual PC" folder? If they appear in it, then they should show up in the Classic Start Menu as well. In your XP Mode VM settings from Virtual PC's folder, check if "Auto publish" of shortcuts from XP Mode is on. Also, restart the VM if the shortcuts aren't getting published. If they show in Windows 7 menu, they should show in Classic menu. Otherwise, somehow your auto-publishing in the VM is broken. Not related to Start Menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:38 pm 

All programs show when I revert to Win 7.
Re "In your XP Mode VM settings from Virtual PC's folder, check if "Auto publish" of shortcuts from XP Mode is on. Also, restart the VM if the shortcuts aren't getting published. If they show in Windows 7 menu, they should show in Classic menu. Otherwise, somehow your auto-

What is VM and how do I go about doing as you suggest?
Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Ignore the VM thing.
What version of Windows are you using? Was it an upgrade on top of an existing installation or a fresh install?
It would be helpful if you post a screenshot of your Programs menu.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:09 pm 

I'm using Win 7. It was a clean installation on a new laptop. I hate it, and was overjoyed when I happened on Classic Shell as I loved the simplicity of windows explorer. The equivalent in Win 7 is the most confusing mess I ever saw! No longer can I move misfiled items with ease.
However, back to your request. I tried to use "Screen Capture" to send a screen shot but failed. Is there another way to get a screenshot?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:58 am 

Your problem is related to Virtual PC, not Start Menu related. VM=Virtual machine. What you are using as "XP Mode" is a Virtual Machine running on Windows Virtual PC software which is available only for Windows 7. Okay, try this:

1. First shutdown Windows XP Mode.
2. Open "Windows Virtual PC" from the Start menu.
3. Select 'XP Mode' in that folder and click "Settings" button on the toolbar.
4. Go to the "Auto Publish" section and make sure the option is checked.

5. Start XP Mode so any shortcuts will be auto-published to the Start Menu folder.

XP Mode shortcuts most definitely work for me this way. They show up in %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Virtual PC\Windows XP Mode Applications

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:23 am 

Hi, GauravK
Thanks so much for helping me.
Found the problem.... I don't have VM!
I am only running Win 7 home premium on this machine, therefore unable to download VM.
However, once I get my main laptop (with Win 7 Pro) I will be able to use your invaluable information at that time.
Once again, your help is most appreciated.
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Admin

I think GauravK is mistaken about the VM. He was confused when you mentioned "XP mode", as it is a Virtual PC term. What did you mean by "XP mode" BTW? That you are using the XP skin?

You can make a screenshot using the Print Screen key, then paste into Paint and save as a JPG.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 pm 

Oh!!!!! OK now I understand. You probably mean XP style of Classic menu when you said "XP mode". Yes, I completely mistook it for XP Mode feature of Virtual PC. My bad. In that case, ignore everything I said. As Ivo said, what program are you trying to find? Is it not under All Programs submenu? Did you try searching for it?

Compare Start Menus