It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 am 

FONT GLOW?
Main_glow_size=10 - the size of the glow (0 - no glow). The glow is always white
ive tried setting that to 0, 10, or 30 but i didnt see any visual change?, also why must it be white?, im assuming with white text a black glow would be more appealing/legible and would especially help with the more transparent skins that dont have a blur effect

FILE SIZE:

About a week ago i noticed my skin was approaching 1mb, so i 'optimized' most of the bitmaps (cut and shrunk them, to about 1/4 there original size, without loosing any quality)
anyways, looking at the file-size... it doesn't really add up..
so i took another skin (full glass, which is what my skin was based on), and copied all the code, saved, then copied all the resources and saved...
so the new skin has virtually everything my skin has... (except is 450kb instead of 780)

So i was kinda wondering, whats causing this size discrepancy; I'm guessing its a bug with res-hacker, maybe keeping old copies of replaced resources somewhere in the file...
and if there's any way to fix this (aside from copying and pasting the code/resources into a new file)

here is a link to the Optimized (450KB file)
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25

and ill attach the origional (780KB file)

Attachments:
Aero Glass.skin [778.73 KiB]
Downloaded 990 times
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Font glow: This is the same glow that the title bar uses. For the Aero theme it is white. Other themes may have a different color. The glow is only supported if you have enabled themes - Basic or Aero. In Classic it doesn't work.

File size: I suspect this is an inefficiency in the APIs that replace resources in DLLs. I build my skins from scratch every time using a resource compiler (part of Visual Studio) so they are always correct sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 am 

ah, ok, so i guess ill just import the stuff over one of your skins every so often :P...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:06 pm 

Jcee wrote:
I'm guessing it's a bug with res-hacker...

For what it's worth, I've never seen any bloat in CS skin files using ResHacker, even after many many (many) edits of the same file. If you can reliably reproduce the bug, this may be of interest for ResHacker users (hats-off to people who write patches in assembly).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:47 pm 

na no idea how it got bloated.. not that 1mb file is really all that bloated by todays standards XD, but still twice the size it should be is meh