It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:54 am 

Hello.
I have been using Classic Start Menu and Classic Explorer for some time with great results.
I love the Classic Start Menu fly-out feature and the Classic Explorer scroll fix feature. However I like and want to keep the regular full Windows search feature and do not want to disable it just because I want to use Classic Shell.
It seems I have been able to have all of this in the past on my desktop. In fact it still all works on my laptop with version 3.6.2. However recently I no longer have all of this on my desktop which has versions 3.6.5 installed.
I don't get it.

On my Windows 7 laptop I have 3.6.2 installed:
  1. The regular Windows full search works - searches all items on my PC using the Win 7 index information (even though all info on this site seems to indicate using Classic Start Menu only searches the start menu and disables regular Windows search)
  2. The Classic Start Menu (Windows Vista/Windows 7 version) works fine and I have the fly-out menu functionality.

On my Windows 7 desktop I have 3.6.5 installed:
  1. The regular Windows full search does not work. When I have Classic Start Menu enabled the search only searches the start menu and disables regular Windows search (as indicated on this web site as normal behavior).
  2. To get Windows search back I right click the start orb and click Exit. Classic Start Menu is turned off and I get the standard Windows start menu back and regular Windows search works again, but of course I no longer have Classic Start Menu fly-out. Also, sometimes but not always, then Classic Explorer goes away as well, removing the Explorer scroll fix feature. So I then go into MSIE 9 and enable the Classic Explorer Bar which gives me back Classic Explorer and enables the Explorer scroll fix.
  3. Also very weird - even though I have turned off Classic Start Menu (and disabled it in msconfig startup) - every time I reboot the desktop, Classic Start Menu comes back and I have to repeat all these steps again! I have disabled it in my msconfig startup options several times to no avail. It just keeps coming back.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Or if this is normal Classic Shell behavior why does my laptop do what I want?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can set me straight on this.:D

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:14 am 

As of 3.6.7 (and versions before it), Classic Start Menu's integrated search box only searches programs and Control Panel settings. It doesn't search indexed files and other indexed stuff. However, Classic Shell does not disable or affect Windows Search in any way. To search indexed files on Windows 7, you are only supposed to use the Windows 7 Start Menu's Search box instead of the Classic Start Menu's box.

Now the cool part is you can use the Windows 7 Start Menu without having to exit Classic Start Menu. Just use Shift+Win Key or Shift+click on the Start button to open the Windows 7 Start menu where you can search indexed files.

You can also right click the Start button -> click Settings -> All Settings and look on the Controls tab. That tab has detailed settings to let you set which key or what mouse click opens which menu. You can set 'Left click opens' to Classic Start Menu but 'Windows key opens' to 'Windows Start Menu'. You can also set 'Shift+Click opens' what and 'Shift+Win' opens what. Which key/click combination opens which menu - Classic or Windows 7 menu is up to you to configure.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 am 

Well good news for you. Now the latest public beta version of Classic Shell which is available from the home page has full Windows Search integration. Try it if you are interested.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.