It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 am 

In new 3.9.0 beta, I noticed that Customize tab has improved vastly. It finally shows labels under Command column. This is very easy for me to understand. But in classic style, it still shows ProgramsItem, ControlPanelItem like that. This is very confusing for me why Control Panel dragged from right to left suddenly becomes ControlPaneltem. Also I cannot rename it to Control Panel like right column. But in Windows 7 Style, it already shows Control Panel like that. I would please request to make same in Classic style. Remove the Item at end and display real label. It is very confusing to understand why label is different at three places: in actual menu it is Control Panel, in dialog it is $Menu.ControlPanel and in left side it is ControlPanelItem. Please make it like Windows 7 style. :( :( It should not be impossible, no? :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm 

Its not impossible, and changing the names to match may be in the works.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe, but it is not.
The item name is a unique identifier that is used to connect the items in a hierarchy. The Windows 7 style doesn't support hierarchies, so there is no need for that name.
In the dialog the label is $Menu.ControlPanel because that's the localization identifier. The actual name you see on screen depends on the currently selected language.

Basically the Classic style gives you a lot more capabilities but requires some thinking. The Windows 7 style was intentionally dumbed down for people who found the old system confusing. The downside is that it is not as flexible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 am 

hmm i thought you previously mentioned plans to change certain labels, for example: the 'Programs' command on the right side, becomes 'ProgramsMenu' on the left side, what purpose does differing those names have?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 am 
Site Admin

The name on the right is humanly-readable and localized.
The name on the left is computer-readable and language-agnostic.
In English some of the names happen to be the same or similar, but that's just a happy coincidence.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 pm 

maybe in the cases where the names dont match up, have the name on the left in parenthesis after the name on the right IE: Programs(ProgramsMenu)
Where only the part outside the parenthesis is translated