It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:41 am 

I put a shortcut to cmd.exe on the Classic Shell start menu. I set the "start in", but it has no effect. It always starts in C:\Windows\system32.

By the way, I'm having difficulty writing this with IE11. Whenever I do a left click here, I get some shaded box around the text. So I don't know how to place the cursor with the mouse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Are you trying to create an admin command prompt? Elevated software gets system32 as the current folder.

I will see if I can find IE11 to try. Are you using the WYSIWYG editor in the forum? Actually, a screenshot of the problem will be helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:05 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Are you trying to create an admin command prompt? Elevated software gets system32 as the current folder.
Yes, my bad. I didn't realize that checking "Run as administrator" had that effect. So now I can't find anything wrong with ClassicShell 3.9.0.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:50 pm 

Ivo wrote:
I will see if I can find IE11 to try. Are you using the WYSIWYG editor in the forum? Actually, a screenshot of the problem will be helpful.
IE11 came with my Win8.1 preview. I'm just trying to edit my reply with the forum built-in editor.

Now I see the problem occurs when I hit RETURN. That is when I get the thing in the attachment. It's probably not IE11, it's probably my ignorance.

I still don't know how to get to a new paragraph. I found a method that works. Hit RETURN, then click "Preview" to refresh the page which clears up the dreaded shaded box and returns the cursor back to normal instead of a cursor with 4 arrows pointing east, west, north and south. The cursor doesn't appear in the screen shot but it looks like the one in Paint when doing a move.

Maybe my question should be "Why do I go into move mode when I hit RETURN?".

Attachments:
forum_editor.png
forum_editor.png [ 33.63 KiB | Viewed 15895 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that's the WYSIWYG editor. It is not very good. You can disable it from the user control panel. Go to Board preferences, then Edit posting defaults, then set WYSIWYG editor to "No".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:09 pm 

Thanks.

Blessed relief!

Oh, let me thank you for ClassicShell. It almost turns this sow's ear into a silk purse. So far though I still prefer Win7 for most things.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:39 am 

Btw steve17, if you still want that admin cmd prompt shortcut in the Start Menu to start at your own directory, use this command:
cmd.exe /k cd "<path to your folder>"

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.