It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Taskbar Grouping
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 am 

Is it possible to add a feature to disable grouping of taskbar items? I don't like that all windows of a specific type must be next to one another (all Chrome windows stay together, etc...).

I have been using 7 Taskbar Tweaker for this since Windows 8, but I would prefer to run only one application perpetually for taskbar customization, if possible.

I've scoured the options of Classic Shell, which I've been using since Windows 7 (to make it look like XP), and I couldn't be happier with its performance and optionset, save for the request I have above. :-) Perhaps it's already possible in CS, and I have just missed it.

I already disable taskbar button combining. However, when you want to reorder the open programs in the taskbar, it will still move all of the similar items as a group. For example, if I wanted to have a Chrome browser as the first in my taskbar, Outlook open as the second, and a chrome browser as the third, that cannot be achieved without third-party software. While they will not appear as just a single grouped icon, they are still not able to be separated from one another.

Let me know if that clarifies things at all.

Thanks for the help and great application!

Post subject: Re: Taskbar Grouping
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:25 pm 

If its in 7+ its unlikely to be added to Classic shell.. neither piece of software is all that intensive.. so there isnt anything wrong with running both, and to my knowledge they are fully compatible

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:31 pm 

I agree -- they're not terribly intensive. However, Classic Shell seems not to bother my company, but they have removed 7+ twice on me. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:45 pm 

Perhaps you could inquire from within as to why? maybe the taskbar grouping is the issue; and would cause classic shell to be flagged too ;)
As it is, classic shell doesn't take an active approach to touching the taskbar, so to do something like this would open another can of worms.. that may affect more than just you (in addition to being considerable work, for a feature that MOST users can already have for free from 7+ Also If you are sharing the computer, maybe use 7+'s 'hide tray icon' feature because that is likely how a non-techie would notice and flag it..
Alternatively if its being flagged/removed automatically. creating a batch file to reinstall it on startup might work

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 pm 

All good points -- I'm not sure specifically what flagged it, but I wouldn't imagine it's a specific feature. It's likely found its way onto a list of software that they don't trust, for whatever reason. That said, reinstalling it is simple enough, so maybe I'll just make a task to reinstall. In fact, technically, they don't uninstall it...one of the DLLs gets unregistered, so I could just re-register the library.

Anyways -- you bring up a good point, of people not necessary needing additional features they can already get with 7+. I'll see if I can figure out what 7+ is doing to enable the feature (maybe it's a registry entry somewhere), since I don't use any of its other tricks.

Thanks for the quick replies -- I truly appreciate it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:05 pm 

7+ Taskbar Tweaker also has a portable mode which doesn't have to be "installed". For a single user account, it should definitely work.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.