It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: RemoteAPP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:09 am 

When connecting to a terminal server using RemoteAPP, one looses the ability to use the Start button and all the functionality behind it.
Can ClassicShell be used via RemoteAPP?
In this setup, ClassicShell would run on the remote server and be visible like other APPs using RemoteAPP

Thanx

e

Post subject: Re: RemoteAPP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Do you not see a taskbar and a start button? If so, you can click on the button with the mouse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:33 am 

No.
As opposed to RemoteDesktop, in RemoteAPP one does NOT see the taskbar nor the start button.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:21 am 
Site Admin

That's weird. Aside from Classic Shell, how are you supposed to start programs with this RemoteAPP? Seems like a critical oversight.

BTW, you can create a shortcut on the desktop that starts "ClassicStartMenu.exe -open" to open the start menu.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:07 am 

Tried. Did not work.
I see ClassicShellMenu on the task list (in taskmgr), but it is not visible on the host.

If you wish to support this, I suggest you read a bit about RemoteAPP.
Here is a starter:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755055.aspx
This is the summary that appears there:
RemoteApp enables you to make programs that are accessed remotely through Remote Desktop Services appear as if they are running on the end user's local computer. These programs are referred to as RemoteApp programs. Instead of being presented to the user in the desktop of the Remote Desktop Session Host (RD Session Host) server, the RemoteApp program is integrated with the client's desktop. The RemoteApp program runs in its own resizable window, can be dragged between multiple monitors, and has its own entry in the taskbar. If a user is running more than one RemoteApp program on the same RD Session Host server, the RemoteApp program will share the same Remote Desktop Services session.

I am not an expert in Windows programming, but I will dare and guess some buzzwords, so the following sentence may either be somewhat correct or a collection of meaningless word:
Perhaps RemoteAPP will only pass Application Windows to the host, while ClassicShell is (maybe?) NOT an actual window, rather a shell replacing the Windows shell.

I can understand that this is a rare problem, so it may not go high on your TODO list, but perhaps the technical challenge might help...

e

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Right, that's not going to work. The start menu runs inside the Explorer process that implements the desktop and the taskbar. What you are describing is for standalone windowed programs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:18 am 

What would it take to get the classic shell to run as a "standalone windowed program"?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 am 

a recoded version of classic shell, and considerable effort

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:35 am 

Guess I will have to give up.

Actually, the functionality I miss the most is the ability to hit the WIN key, then start typing the name of the program and get a list to choose from.
Any bright ideas as to getting this type of functionality outside the Explorer shell?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:10 pm 

try looking into alternative search platforms
I would recommend trying:

Everything
http://www.voidtools.com/

and

agent ransack
https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 am 

RemoteApp does not have the ability to show only the Taskbar or only the Start button remotely so it is not possible.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.