It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 am 

Just thought this tutorial might come in handy for Classic Shell users, it restores the Original Quicklaunch function to your computer, which most users of Classicshell would probably enjoy, if they dont already

• Right-Click the Language Bar & "Restore the Language Bar" to remove it from the Task bar
  • Right-Click the Taskbar, go to Properties, and select "Use Small Icons", then Deselect "Lock the Task Bar".. and be sure Task bar is on the Bottom, and Task Bar Buttons are set to "Combine when Taskbar is Full"
  • Right-Click it again and go to Toolbars, then click "New Tool Bar"
  • Paste this in and hit enter: %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch or browse to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
  • Drag the Dotted lines to the left of the words 'Quick Launch' in your new tool bar, and drag it all the way to the left towards the start menu.. drag it so all the open icons are smashed down and they will eventually appear on the other side -- Just smash it through the Smart Button... (you may need to disable other toolbars first, if you have them)
  • Now grab the dotted lines by the Notification area (where any open folder/program icons will be crowded) and drag it all the way back towards the left until you leave just the space you need for your Quick Launch icons
  • Right-Click the dotted lines in front of the Quick Launch and De-select both "Show Text" and "Show Title"
  • Right-click the Task bar and Lock it
  • Drag your floating Language bar back onto the task bar
  • Unpin all your other items from the task bar and drag their icons to the quick launch bar
You can now add any new items to the task bar by dragging and dropping them, or creating new shortcuts for items and dropping them there.. just like the good old days

*Tip: If you have a large monitor or Dual Monitors, its usually best to unlock the task bar and drag it upwards to make two levels so you have more space for icons in quick launch

Last edited by Tenzen on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:13 pm 

Thanx for this!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 am 

The problem is that Microsoft introduced a bug in Windows 7/8/8.1 that under unknown circumstances causes Quick Launch to automatically get disabled and all its settings to get reset after you restart Windows. There is no one on the web who knows the solution to this issue of Quick Launch disappearing after a reboot or logoff. This makes toolbars like Quick Launch unusable.

A real solution would be for Classic Shell to take matters into its own hands and recreate the Windows taskbar, like it did to the Start Menu, and hide the built-in one.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:24 pm 

GauravK wrote:
The problem is that Microsoft introduced a bug in Windows 7/8/8.1 that under unknown circumstances causes Quick Launch to automatically get disabled and all its settings to get reset after you restart Windows. There is no one on the web who knows the solution to this issue of Quick Launch disappearing after a reboot or logoff. This makes toolbars like Quick Launch unusable.

I have create a solution to that! My system: Win7 32bit

1) Create a NEW FOLDER to anywhere you want on your hard drive and RENAME it Taskbar. I prefer to the C:\(YourName)\Taskbar
2) RIGHT CLICK on the taskbar > UNTICK Lock the taskbar
3) RIGHT CLICK on the taskbar > Toolbars > New toolbar > Point to C:\(YourName)\Taskbar > PRESS Select folder
4) RIGHT CLICK on the NEW taskbar > UNTICK Show text, UNTICK Show title

5) If you prefer big icons > RIGHT CLICK on the NEW taskbar > View > Large Icons
6) DRAG the NEW taskbar anywhare you want on the taskbar
7) PASTE any shortcut you want on the folder Taskbar (or DRAG N DROP any shortcut you want on the NEW taskbar)
8) RIGHT CLICK on the taskbar > TICK Lock the taskbar

That is all ! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:33 pm 

I tried creating a toolbar with another name but it also gets randomly disabled/reset.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:08 pm 

I'm sorry to heard that. :|

I have customize all my Windows "special follers" to C:\(Name)\***** and to C:\ProgramData\ , and i have not any problem with my custom toolbar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:51 pm 

Yeah!!! How do I add Quicklaunch to the Taskbar and make it stay?!?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 pm 

CallumTDM wrote:
Yeah!!! How do I add Quicklaunch to the Taskbar and make it stay?!?

I'm following this thread specially your question but didn't get a
good response. Is there anyone who knows about that question ?
The same question is from my side.

Last edited by allanconner96 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:56 am 

Yes, same here I'm on Win 8.1 x64 and Quicklaunch bar disappears after restart and is reset to original settings, except the shortcuts I put in it, which are still there.

Any solution, please?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 am 

Still using this in Windws 7 & Windows 10 without any problems all these years, never had it delete.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:19 am 

Now I use this fly out method, customizing folder Icons, grouping everything in folders, and putting all the folders to the right and resizing the quick launch to hide the custom folders behind the '>>'

Attachments:
Captuqwre.PNG
Captuqwre.PNG [ 124.88 KiB | Viewed 169960 times ]