It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: OS language
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:40 pm 

I have downloaded the Classic Shell and will install it as soon as I can.

But just as a precaution, I thought I need to check something that I cannot find in the discussions.

I will be installing it on a new desktop preinstalled with Win 8.1 with Danish as the default language. I will be changing that to English as although I live in Denmark, my mother tongue is English.

The question is - should I change the OS display/menus language to English BEFORE I install Classic Shell?

Tony

Post subject: Re: OS language
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

By default the start menu will use the current language of the OS. You can override that from the Language tab in the settings. Keep in mind that if the menu language differs from the OS language, some of the text will be translated and some won't. That's because some of the text (like names of system folder - Computer, Documents) come from the OS itself.

The settings themselves will be English-only unless you download a language pack. At the moment no such pack exists for Danish.

You can change the OS language before or after the installation. As long as you leave the default language setting, the menu will match the OS.

Post subject: Re: OS language  Topic is solved
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:02 am 

Thanks for suggestions. With those in mind I started my new PC for the first time and found that the installation procedure for the preinstalled 8.1 covers more options than Win 7 did. So although the default was Danish, I could actually choose many built in options for input and display. Which included the language for any Apps that would be automatically installed during configuration. So once all was done, I had English on everything!

The Danish configuration is still there as a toggled switch if I even need it.

Now I have to experiment with the Windows logo switch to desktop and back to see how much I want/need to change it.

So my question is solved

Tony