It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am 

Classic Shell Sourceforge Reviews:

amat reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎September ‎19, ‎2012, ‏‎9:25:46

: Test it on Windows 7 system! Great tool for using instead of classic menu
Ewa reviewed classicshell:

‎, ‎September ‎18, ‎2012, ‏‎2:35:17
: Bardzo dobre, polecam (Very good, I recommend.)

Willem Ratte reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎September ‎18, ‎2012, ‏‎12:27:47

: Useful and grateful!
Eyebrows reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎September ‎15, ‎2012, ‏‎5:42:55

: Dude! *Dude!* Windows 7's absurd "snap newly opened folders to the bottom" behaviour for the tree pane in explorer.exe has had me frustrated since the day I decided to upgrade from XP. Your little program has just enabled me to actually interact with my filesystem in a sensible way again. I love you so much right now. I actually like 7's start menu so I'm glad you've made your fixes all modular and configurable. ClassicShell *also* seems to solve (as a side effect of the way it adds itself to explorer.exe, I'd wager, but still) the issue in 7's explorer.exe requiring a physical click in either pane in order for mouse scroll events to be delivered there, so I no longer need the WizMouse application to fix that, which itself causes issues with some games. You, to coin a phrase, are the hero this city deserves. I am hoping you've got a donate button.
mason barnes reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎September ‎8, ‎2012, ‏‎4:08:39

: good job classicshell
GizmoChicken reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎September ‎8, ‎2012, ‏‎11:42:42

: GREAT!!! Not only does Classic Shell bring a start menu to the Windows 8 desktop, it brings a start menu that, in many ways, is BETTER (and certainly more configurable) than the start menus found in previous versions of Windows. And so I for one am happy that Windows removed its start menu so that I can now add "Classic Shell" in its place. Thanks to Classic Shell developers for providing such a great product. And thanks to Microsoft for finally allowing for upgrading the start menu. I especially appreciate that Classic Shell offers (under the "Controls" tab) a way to configure hot-keys for 1) opening the classic start menu and 2) going to the Windows 8 "metro" start screen. But I'll just note that the menu descriptors under the "Controls" tab are a bit confusing. In particular, the menu descriptor "Windows start menu" would be better labelled as the "Metro start screen" (or similar) so as to avoid confusion. Once trivial complaint: I notice that, after selecting "skip metro screen" on the "Windows 8 Settings" tab, the metro screen still briefly flickers before the desktop loads. Not a big deal, but irritating nonetheless.
mictex reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎30, ‎2012, ‏‎10:18:23

: What can I say, the integration is seamless, fast, VERY customizable and it just works. With every new version it gets even better and makes Windows 7 as well as the the other related versions of Windows more enjoyable to use. Thanks
Steve Hornby reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎27, ‎2012, ‏‎5:10:00

: If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 pre-installed, you'll NEED this app! It adds features that aren't present in Windows 7 too, by the way... It's lean, solid, stable, endlessly customizable, and free. What more could you want?
layerxuhl reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎25, ‎2012, ‏‎7:58:27

: Excellent!
OpenID User reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎25, ‎2012, ‏‎7:00:45

: This was successful in my endeavor to restore that old and familiar Start Menu (not the new Metro Start Menu, the old one since Windows 3.0). And so I give a mighty thanks to the developers of Classic Shell, now I can find my way around Windows again!
Ignus Fast reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎23, ‎2012, ‏‎8:54:46

: Classic Shell is FANTASTIC! And for those who would say some people are stuck in the old world and "those who have been desperately holding on to Windows XP" - yes. That's correct. Because the Start menu had become an overly complicated, over sized mess. I actually really like the new "Don't call it Metro" Start screen and application interaction. But I still like the speed, simplicity, and functionality of the original Windows XP Start button. Now I can have it all, and to the haters, kiss my ass!
barnyrubble reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎21, ‎2012, ‏‎1:51:03

: Great for Win8. Gets rid of that awful quilted tablecloth and returns me to the proper Windows Desktop with the Windows orb and Menus for easy access to my programs. I hope it still works in the final release of Win8. If MS prevents programs such as this from doing their stuff then I will not use it. It appears to me that Win8 should not be called Windows at all since all Metro apps appear to work only in full screen so you cannot work in multiple programs copying and moving content from one program window to another or dragging and dropping files from Explorer into programs such as Adobe Audition.....something I do regularly. I am referring here to Metro only. Thankfully we still have the old desktop available to us but once that is gone we are back to one program at a time like old DOS.
Tommy reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎20, ‎2012, ‏‎12:29:56

: Windows 8 really needed this! Now with disabling hot corners!
DNML reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎18, ‎2012, ‏‎10:22:58

: Classic Start Menu 3.6.0 turns Windows 8 RTM from a big nuisance into a great operating system, getting rid of all the irritations that Microsoft created. I do a lot of software testing, and have a 3-monitor setup, in which I use the left and right monitors for full-screen virtual machines or Remote Desktop sessions. Using Windows 8 on the right-hand monitor without a Start Button is such a pain - when I try to click the hot corner, I just minimise all the windows on the central monitor (having got the Aero peek square next to the clock). So great to have a Start Button, even if I actually use it to open the Metro Start Screen. Good to have the option of the old Start Menu too, if I want it. It's also fantastic that you can disable the hot corners in Desktop mode, but they're still active in Metro mode - the perfect combination. Finally, it's great to be able to boot straight to the desktop. In short, Classic Shell lets me use the Windows 8 Desktop as a normal desktop PC, without any irritations from Metro, but also lets me try out Metro without it getting in the way. A truly fantastic piece of software, thank you very much!
Gary Rough reviewed classicshell:

: cool addition to standart Windows desktop features, just awesome!
David Long reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎13, ‎2012, ‏‎2:47:45 | David Long
: OMIGOODNESS, you just removed 75% of my frustrations with Win7. Thank you SO VERY MUCH. You have done a beautiful job implementing these `lost` features -- it is seamless and `just works`! I have sent a donation. I just wish I could give you 10 instead of one.
Tony Austin reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎10, ‎2012, ‏‎7:08:22 | Tony Austin

: Despite rumors that Microsoft has killed this capability in the final Windows 8 RTM "gold" package, the Classic Start Menu seems still to work with the RTM version. (It's a week before I can get my hands on the RTM code, but a friend with with the right "connections" has managed to get an early copy of the RTM and has demonstrated this to me via screen sharing.) Yippee! ... It looks to be THE way to avoid the clumsy "Metro" tiled interface for desktop non-touchscreen mouse-and-keyboard interaction with Windows 8. Eat your heart out, Microsoft, for doing away with the Start Orb and trying to block attempts to come up with an alternative,
Albert Sauser reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎4, ‎2012, ‏‎5:19:47 | Albert Sauser

: great! it's the same start menu like in Windows!
Rex reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎2, ‎2012, ‏‎5:59:42 | Rex

: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Back to a sane interface. Why did they have to "improve" it by jumbling and scrambling or removing everything that made sense. Maybe OOPolution of the brain synapses. Now I rediscover that things I spent 15 years getting used to are back in a logical order and still work. Here's an idea for new development: All MS developers need to accept, through a secure encrypted network -- mini-bombs. No effect until they reach a critical mass (say >10,000 or so) then they get blown to ***** for being voted counter-productive.
Clay Greenham reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎August ‎1, ‎2012, ‏‎8:18:10 | Clay Greenham

: interesting tool, thanks to this app I had a strong deja vu
Chuck Renner reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎July ‎31, ‎2012, ‏‎9:19:41 | Chuck Renner

: This should be the default shell that should install with the OS on every version of Windows from XP to 8 (XP, Vista, 7, 8), and many more to come. This is an awesome shell! THANK YOU!!!
largo reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎July ‎28, ‎2012, ‏‎1:57:59 | largo

: hello thank you for this great log I put the dll in French is the forum for those who are interrested Excuse me for my english not good @ +
Russ Halloway reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎July ‎13, ‎2012, ‏‎12:51:32 | Russ Halloway

: Since the dawn of "alternate start menu's" I've always considered them, without hate or malice, a waste of time and energy. Since the dawn of Windows 8, I consider them, specifically "classic shell", freeking awesome hah. Yeppers life is good with classic shell
Volkan KIRIK reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎July ‎11, ‎2012, ‏‎2:26:16 | Volkan KIRIK

: Thank you very much!
Shravan Sharma reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎July ‎11, ‎2012, ‏‎8:39:13 | Shravan Sharma

: --->Classic shell brings back old familiar startup menu of winxp for Vista/Win7 --->Lots of options/settings --->Stable software
Martin Plamondon reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎July ‎10, ‎2012, ‏‎10:57:32 | Martin Plamondon

: Hi, I love it, being able to avoid Metro screen and have a start menu back in Windows 8. Just one thing, in Windows Explorer, could you make the toolbar a ribbon tab for Windows 8, it's taking too much space as a toolbar with the ribbon not hidden.
Rafis reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎28, ‎2012, ‏‎9:39:37 | Rafis

: What a great tool!Great software, makes comparing and merging al lot easier!
Janka Helmutz reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎23, ‎2012, ‏‎11:07:39 | Janka Helmutz

: have used this program for many months now since I first read about it. I use it on windows 7 and on Windows Vista. Because the default Classic start menu on Vista has limited functions and of course you don't get the Windows XP start menu either.
Annet Kalipso reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎23, ‎2012, ‏‎2:11:31 | Annet Kalipso

: Classic Shell is an awesome program. I much prefer it to the Vista and Windows 7 Start Menus. It's tremendously customizable and you can export and import all the settings so that they can be applied to other computers and login ids. It also provides a great replacement for XP-style function buttons on Windows Explorer. Again, customizable and one can export and import settings. I use its Classic Explorer function to hook to a good third party filesystem search program to replace the execrable VistaW7W8 filesystem search. But the best thing is that Classic Shell 3.5 puts its beautiful Start Menu on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, turning a sow's ear into a silk purse! Settings from W7 will even import into W8, providing instant customization.
Archibald Zook reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎15, ‎2012, ‏‎8:37:50 | Archibald Zook

: I have used it since years.
Mathew Thompson reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎8, ‎2012, ‏‎8:02:07 | Mathew Thompson

: This is the best tool for Windows that I know.
Algernon Mcdougall reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎8, ‎2012, ‏‎7:54:18 | Algernon Mcdougall

: Amazing! This is a really useful item!
Jessie Jacques reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎5, ‎2012, ‏‎6:14:25 | Jessie Jacques

: Thanks for sharing this wonderful Open Source Project with us. I use and love it.
Silas Fiore reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎5, ‎2012, ‏‎1:01:53 | Silas Fiore

: Simply fantastic, nice clean interface no bloat.
Clarence Varney reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎4, ‎2012, ‏‎11:41:24 | Clarence Varney

: wonderful idea and excellent work
Austen Rinehart reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎4, ‎2012, ‏‎9:29:48 | Austen Rinehart

: Best I have seen on Windows.
Amos Hixson reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎4, ‎2012, ‏‎7:45:34 | Amos Hixson

: best tool. Ever
Timothy Mclean reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎4, ‎2012, ‏‎5:53:16 | Timothy Mclean

: Great work folks!
Evan Poindexter reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎4, ‎2012, ‏‎4:54:41 | Evan Poindexter

: Simply perfect!
Reginald Babin reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎3, ‎2012, ‏‎12:53:03 | Reginald Babin

: the best, just works
Abraham Layman reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎June ‎2, ‎2012, ‏‎11:31:27 | Abraham Layman

: Best tool in his category, even beter than comercial software
Micki Feamster reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎May ‎31, ‎2012, ‏‎3:43:06 | Micki Feamster

: Very nostalgic project! Thanks!
Diana Lauren Anderson reviewed classicshell:
‎, ‎May ‎26, ‎2012, ‏‎7:58:25 | Diana Lauren Anderson

: Wow, very easy to use!
waika reviewed classicshell:
, May 23, 2012, 1:40:16 | waika

: Classic Shell is amazing, will really come into it's own, and be essential software when Windows 8 is released! With Windows 7 Classic Shell offers substantial improvements not just in familiarity but in form that follows function. On Windows 8 and Windows Server 8 Classic Shell will be essential for anyone that needs to get work done with a PC due the integration of Metro as Start Menu, the inability to multi-task when some interface features are running, and massive increase of user input required (mouse clicking and window manipulation) to accomplish the same tasks that on previous versions of Windows required no input, a single mouse click, much less input intensive operation... On Windows 8, Classic Shell will literally save lives on mission critical systems -- this is not an exaggeration, but first hand experience! It is a fantastic application, with a level of professional attention to detail that's astonishing for FOSS Windows software and Windows 8 would be useless without it.
Dylan Cannon reviewed classicshell:
, May 14, 2012, 4:25:32 | Dylan Cannon

: Very useful app. Thank you.
Oliver Schneider reviewed classicshell:
, May 09, 2012, 10:56:58 | Oliver Schneider

: Have been using it for some time now on all Windows 7 machines I have to use and must say this is one of the most useful things that I use on a daily basis. With Windows 8 and the even uglier "start menu" upcoming, this is once again going to be the solution. Thanks so much!
Insurance Sniper reviewed classicshell:
, May 05, 2012, 1:47:35 | Insurance Sniper

: Excelent work widows 7. Userfriendly interface.
Esko van Hattem reviewed classicshell:
, May 03, 2012, 2:32:59 | Esko van Hattem

: After experience Win 7 I know now why Apple got every day more users. Lucky for me Classic Shell has help me to overcome my Win 7 frustrations. Thanks Ivo.
Juegos reviewed classicshell:
, May 02, 2012, 6:17:54 | Juegos

: Fantastic tune up for my Win7, thank you
Ioan The Best reviewed classicshell:
, April 24, 2012, 8:05:42 | Ioan The Best

: Awesome, so much better than the 7's menu
tanzanos reviewed classicshell:
, April 21, 2012, 12:04:46 | tanzanos

: If it were not for classic shell I would have gone crazy trying to use the new win7 menus. I tell everyone about classic shell. In many forums and friends. Some have tried it and have stuck with it. It has saved me a lot of headaches. Thanks ibeltchev! _Yiannis.
Eran Ifrah reviewed classicshell:
, April 20, 2012, 6:11:11 | Eran Ifrah

: Very nice project. One thing that is really missing is the ability to add 'Favorite' folders - I used to use this feature alot back on my XP days - and when I upgraded to Windows 7 - it was removed! Hopefully, this project could fill in this missing functionality
Alex reviewed classicshell:
, April 19, 2012, 12:21:44 | Alex

: I really missed the classic start menu of old Windows, thank you very much
fenxiang_fz reviewed classicshell:
, April 17, 2012, 1:28:17 | fenxiang_fz

: Very good, I like it very much . I'm now running it in windows8 consumer preview.
Albert Rouchen reviewed classicshell:
, April 17, 2012, 11:25:15 | Albert Rouchen

: Thank you for your program! It was very difficult to get used to the interface windows 7, but this program is correct it!
nnq2603 reviewed classicshell:
, April 08, 2012, 3:58:02 | nnq2603

: It's very nice application and work well, but a little yet annoying problem happens to me... Thanks a lot!
mike reviewed classicshell:
, April 03, 2012, 2:31:09 | mike

: This program is the best thing since sliced bread ... I really mean it!
Kurt Hildebrant reviewed classicshell:
, March 31, 2012, 10:42:11 | Kurt Hildebrant

: The Windows 7 desktop of my Aspire notebook was a real piece of doo-doo, then I found Classic Shell. Problem solved! Many thanks for an excellent open-source resource!
Miguel Diego reviewed classicshell:
, March 31, 2012, 12:10:02 | Miguel Diego

: Just what I needed, to work as efficient with the keyboard as under any previous Windows version. THANK YOU!!!
John Kortovich reviewed classicshell:
, March 30, 2012, 11:22:59 | John Kortovich

: Awesome project, thanks for your time for sharing
Maria reviewed classicshell:
, March 28, 2012, 7:12:04 | Maria

: Really nice!
Greendale Joe reviewed classicshell:
, March 27, 2012, 6:35:17 | Greendale Joe

: Awesome. Installing / configuring it, I had the explorer menus go away, and it took a while to get them back, and this is exactly why I needed this. Leave it to microsoft to take a perfectly good user interface and re-invent it. It's as though they took an automobile and moved the pedals and steering wheel to new locations. This puts some of the controls back where I like them. Especially frustrating with Win7 explorer is the way the file tree would randomly re-adjust itself just when you wanted to expand a branch, and this seems to fix that. Have to use it some more to confirm.
Logan Morris reviewed classicshell:
, March 19, 2012, 2:23:13 | Logan Morris

: Fast and simple.
reviewed classicshell:
, March 13, 2012, 5:22:53 |

: The GREAT application what is giving back a human-face for Windows 7. Really BIG thanks!!!
OpenID User reviewed classicshell:
, March 08, 2012, 11:41:22 | OpenID User

: When your using windows for playing games and browsing with some background file handling, you don't want the annoyances of truly unhelpful over dumbed down interfaces. Classic shell is the only acceptable way to interface with Windows 7.
, March 5, 2012 | Walter DelagarzaAmazing job, thanks a ton for conveying

, March 3, 2012 | Fredrick Fort
Very nice, thanks for Developer!

, Feburary 18, 2012 | Oleksandr Gavenko
Great tool!

, February 01, 2012 | David
This is a great tool. Really helpful. Add quicklaunch to it and it would be even better.

, January 15, 2012 | Dmitriy Fedorov
Nice and Easy to use. Good job!

, January 5, 2012 | OpenID User
I wanted to cry after installing Windows 7 thinking only one retard i.e MS would torture its customers to learn and re-learn its OS. Then I found Classic Shell and it almost made me - a grown "geek" cry. Thank you very very much. Please sell this to MS I am so pleased that you shared this at no cost.

, January 4, 2012 | pjfarr
Reverting back to the "flyout" style Start Menu from XP was great, but not only reinstating the Explorer Toolbar but making it fully customizable is where it's at for me. The redesigned Start Menu and absence of the Explorer toolbar were the first things I noticed—and immediately hated—about Win7. Classic Shell goes a long way to not only get around that, but add many extra functions/options as well. A truly valuable find.

, November 17, 2011 | Ricardo Canepa
Excellent tool. It makes using Windows 7 a much better experience.

, November 09, 2011 | psycrosI cannot use Vista or Seven without Classic Shell - yes, it seems to work flawlessly in Vista, too! Microsoft has adopted a "change for change's sake" attitude towards UI which is killing productivity and enjoyment for their users. Its sad that unpaid programmers have to save a giant company from itself, but thank heaven the CS team is out there

, September 23, 2011 | AndersI've used it for about 15 minutes and that's more than enough time for me to say that it's great, thanks a lot for this, finally I can use my recently built PC properly, which means; efficiently. (when the cashflow gets a bit better you'll certainly get a donation from this old Swede)

, August 30, 2011 | OpenID UserThis is a life saver - cannot tell you how happy i am to see the old folder view - increases my productivity multifold

, August 11, 2011 | Sperry RussWhen I upgraded to Windows 7 I decided that this time I might as well go with the flow of the new OS. But at times I did find this new start menu confusing and hard to navigate. A friend who is disabled ask me if there was some way to get the classic start menu back in Windows 7. So I started looking and came across your program. I downloaded it to try it out before I would recommend it to him. Not only did I recommend it to him. I am now using it myself! Very professional programming and works very good! Thanks.

, August 11, 2011 | Michael JenningsSteve Ballmer is not a competent leader. Changes are made to Windows that are bad for long-time users of Windows, especially those who use Windows at work.

, August 03, 2011 | xtal256Really great project. Looks like it has a lot more configuration options than the last time i checked. My view is that computers/software should let the user control it, not it control the user.

, July 10, 2011|John3347I've been using Classic Shell since about day one. Without Classic shell, I probably would not be using Windows 7. (still maintain an XP machine for important work as it is. Windows 7 is nothing more than Vista with gobs of make-up smeared on) The sad thing about Classic Shell is the need for it. It is disgraceful that Microsoft took the attitude, "screw you, it's gone and it is not coming back" - without even offering any excuse whatsoever during development. Poll after poll showed that 40% of Windows users indicated a preference for the classic start menu and Microsoft just thumbed their nose at every one of us.

, July 7, 2011 | EricSo happy to find this program. Very well made with lots of options. MakesWindows 7 worth using. Saves me from daily frustration. Thank you so much!

, April 22, 2011, 2:25:36 | AbocaI love this project! I write From Bogota Co.

, April 18, 2011, 3:50:47 | skagonThis is one of the "can't-do-without" programmes for me, and I guess anyone who wants to actually *use* their computer, and not let their computer train them. Ever squinted trying to find the programme you wanted to launch, looking into the default "All Programs" list? Ever tried to go 'up' one level in Windows Explorer, and all you managed was to go 'back'? Ever missed the clarity of the Windows XP start menu? Or the cascading "Programs" list? Well, despair no more, for Classic Shell is the answer to your prayers! Rejoice, my brothers and sisters!

, April 04, 2011, 10:26:13 | marwernoThis Plug-in provides the essentials that Microsoft SHOULD have provided. The world get more and more "stupidified" because some people are too lazy too learn (and people willing to learn get accused of not wanting to learn the "new (STUPID!) way". Microsoft delivering "Windows 7 was my idea"...??? (A lot of stupid people out there if you call reducing features an "idea".... I need to work, not look at eye-candy!)

, April 03, 2011, 12:52:26 | Chris RobertsThis project is absolutely fantastic. Microsoft's attempts to make my computer stupid and unusable may continue; however, Classic Shell not only makes it usable again... it actually makes it even better than the XP menu! I can't express how great Classic Shell is. I love its existence and will support it for as long as I'm using Windows!! If I had a suggestion for the future, it'd be something that can fix the horrendous over-spacing issues in the system tray! ;-)

, March 29, 2011, 6:48:03 | Joe SalazarVery well done. I like the "up" button and the Shared Folder Overlay options that were taken from Win 7 by Micro$oft instead of giving options to enable disable. Interesting to see great creative comments like the one from Marc-Andre. Make's me think that he works for MS. But regardless, he and MS both agree that all these thousands of people downloading this program, including the 500+ that already gave it great reviews, should all be forced to change into something they think is better. That, instead of the logical "giving an option". Yeah... we should all evolve into zombies... like Marc-Andre.

, March 20, 2011, 12:07:23 | GregThank you, this is exactly what I was looking for and more. Well thought out!

, March 08, 2011, 9:35:52 | Bill EarlBrilliant work! Makes Win 7 (and Vista) much more usable!

, March 04, 2011, 10:54:14 | cauotPerfect, many thanks!

, March 03, 2011, 6:21:27 | SouthManNow all I need is to get my QuickLaunch bar back!!!

, February 25, 2011, 5:00:39 | I get that change is the nature of life but I'm constantly baffled that something nearly perfect needs to be changed simply for the sake of change. Thank you bringing us all back something nearly perfect.

, February 15, 2011, 1:57:34 | Wacek Placekvery good project

, February 14, 2011, 1:21:42 | a GREAT addon. god only knows why mistersofty always thinks they know better..

, February 07, 2011, 6:48:41 | Goog idea. For all who like the classic Start menu. Thanks.

, February 06, 2011, 7:10:01 | it gives back some customization (useful features/tweaks) that were available in previous windows versions. thanks for making this project.

, February 03, 2011, 7:00:06 | WDDI really missed the xp style start menu in Windows 7. Especially the annoying shutdown button in win7 is set as default and it is very irritating when you accidentally click it while you were trying to restart or log off.

, February 03, 2011, 10:19:47 | Absolutely essential! Can't stand Windows 7 without it.

, February 01, 2011, 10:37:42 | Old FaithfulA MUST HAVE for anyone who has become aggravated by Microsoft's relentless efforts to steer users away from the clarity of the file management concept that made the initial success of Windows, based on what information really is and how it is actually stored on a computer and how humans classify it in real life. This utility is a great start. Now if only this concept could be expanded to take over the rest of Windows dismal, fuzzy 'Internet Explorer'-like shell, whose sole purpose seems to be FORCE users to organize information the way it sees fit, instead of allowing users to organize it in personally meaningful ways!

, January 31, 2011, 6:29:07 | Well, the idea is excellent. But I had to stop using the menu part because of serious incompatibility problems, apparently of a graphical cause, leading to recurrent shell crashes. A contrario no problem with the Explorer toolbar (nevertheless I prefer QTTab, its Explorer toolbar and so useful tabs).

, January 31, 2011, 4:07:54 | xoangoA jewel, efective and simple control, everything opposite of what it made Microsoft.
, January 30, 2011, 9:18:05 | I was seriously considering Linux before finding this. Thank you for caring soo much more than Microsoft.

, January 27, 2011, 9:45:30 | Chris MerrillYes! Finally a way to fix the disappearing tree icons in Windows Explorer! ! ! Thanks so much for that little feature!

, January 25, 2011, 1:44:49 | dazikthe best!

, January 23, 2011, 11:10:33 | Call me old fashioned if you want to, but I love the classic start menu. It's unfortunate that MS did not include it with Windows 7 (really, how hard would it have been to include this option?). The good news is that this program does the trick and does it better than anything MS has ever produced.

, January 23, 2011, 9:14:03 | YES. i think most of windows user stilleed the classic menu back in action. it is not just because we're already get used to it. But, this is the easy way (at least for me) to navigate the task bar. THANKS A LOT

, January 22, 2011, 1:05:51 | This is a great add on to win 7. Added it and it reduced the learning curve for win 7 from win xp tremendously.

, January 21, 2011, 3:55:19 | Awesome. I have always wanted the classic look back in Win 7. Great work. Keep it up!

, January 15, 2011, 4:04:19 | TERRIFIC!

, January 14, 2011, 2:33:05 | OpenID UserThis is great! I just was forced to upgrade to Windows 7 and it is too much a change for my workflow. After two days of searching, Classic Shell is what was missing.

, January 09, 2011, 9:36:17 | Just what was missing from Windows 7. Perfect!

, January 07, 2011, 3:20:38 | What can I say. I like it. Why oh why did MS take the classic menu away. I give it two . Thanks.

, January 04, 2011, 12:21:31 | ok

, January 02, 2011, 2:44:41 | Is still the best Windows menu, great that who does the work for the Windows share to 7 at.

, January 02, 2011, 6:18:32 | GreenbanditIt makes Windows 7 useable again. FANTASTIC WORK.

, January 02, 2011, 3:24:00 | Nice App

, January 01, 2011, 8:22:09 | This tool makes Windows 7 usable, without it Windows 7 is just horribly annoying and utterly dysfunctional. Every citizen should get Classic Shell!

, January 01, 2011, 5:54:41 | Bantak788This program has made my life worth living. I've resisted moving away from Windows XP for years since the new Windows menu is so incredibly annoying. When I built a new machine, I added a solid state drive and knew it was best to just move on to Windows 7. Fortunately, I had already discovered Classic Shell and knew that it would be a relatively painless process. It's an almost perfect program. Classic Shell is light-weight and unobtrusive, and it provides me with the flexibility I need to customize the Windows Start menu to work the way I want it to work instead of forcing me to use somebody else's conception of what the "perfect" menu should be. With just a couple of clicks in the settings (switching the Left-Click/Shift-Left-Click behavior to display the regular menu and then setting the Windows Start Menu to a Cascading All Programs menu), I was able to get 90 percent of what I wanted (both the cascading sub-menus instead of the cramped standard style and proper default sorting with folders listed first). My Windows menu is better than it's ever been. I work with a lot of client computers (mainly using Server 2008 or Win7), and it's always a traumatic experience when I have to use the out-of-the-box Windows menu. ALL HAIL CLASSIC SHELL!

, December 31, 2010, 3:21:49 | Great!

, December 31, 2010, 4:42:15 | Hey ibeltchev, I really must thank you for this wonderful little program. Now I have my start menu the way I like it. I can customise it just how I've always done. Great work!

, December 28, 2010, 5:13:23 | Easy

, December 27, 2010, 9:17:56 | Finally a good program to turn back to the normal start menu!

, December 27, 2010, 1:36:20 | now my win7 looks like NT4. that great!

, December 25, 2010, 5:48:53 | FreeWhen I came across a reference to Classic Shell for customizing Explorer, I did not have much expectation. I had already been through Explorer++, Q-Dir, QTTabBar,Total Commander, and Ultra Explorer. Changes to the Start Menu as described almost seemed impossible, so I did not think about it. When I tried installing Classic Shell, I had a major problem. Half way through the installation, I got an error saying permission was denied to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs It took quite a while to figure out what was wrong - "System" was not showing up in the Security Permissions for that "..\Start Menu\Programs" folder, and adding that solved the issue finally. Then the program installed, and it froze Explorer, and the start bar was doing weird things - and I thought - well, another hacked together half job. But what the hell, I rebooted, and opened up explorer. It seemed to be working all right. I followed the instructions in ClassicShellReadme.rtf and started tinkering around, first with Explorer, then with the Start Menu settings. After half an hour of tweaking things - I am now sitting here amazed at how perfectly everything is EXACTLY the way I want it - I mean EXACTLY! If someone was to wander by and look at me working, they would never know I am not on XP ! My Start Menu uses so that the icons are small - I can have my own folders at the top of it with my own frequently used programs - and the cascading sub-menu is such a relief after the pain of using the Win7 new Start Menu. Your page: "Why Classic Start Menu?" says it all perfectly. Explorer - with the tree line structure on the left! (Windows XP Classic - Navigation Pane Style). I thought I would never see that again! I can instantly see now where I am down the tree - how many subfolders down, and the left arrow "Back to" the last folder - such a time saver. And the beloved ALT+Enter to see a file/folder's properties, used so so many times a day is back! And back to the old dialog for File/Folder conflicts - the new Win7 one was so invasive. The only "tweak" missing from all this was found long before - putting back the Quick Launch area (available on most Win7 tip sites). ibeltchev - you have made Windows 7 behave the way I want - a way that is efficient - and conducive to productivity. Thank you so much for your amazing work - and for sharing it with the community. You have made my time on my laptop (many many many hours a day) much less stressful; much more enjoyable!

, December 25, 2010, 11:57:01 | sleclireThis is just awesome! If you want those treelines back OR if you want those triangles (expand/collapse buttons OR folding buttons) to not fade out when you're not mouse over them or the explorer navigation pane focused (by ie. shift+tab to it) then this can be done for the left side nav pane of explorer

, December 15, 2010, 1:18:34 | Essental for me to be able to tolerate Windows 7. Very stable so far.

, December 14, 2010, 11:06:40 | I'm free again!

, December 10, 2010, 9:31:42 | this is pure simplicity and happiness. love it man, only if microsoft could understand there customers they would have better sales and happier customers.win7 is ok but xp64 is best in my opinion.they should of worked of xp and made it faster. than creating vista/win7. great work and thanks only would like to suggest one thing can you make the classic start button and taskbar like vista too.

, December 05, 2010, 1:29:53 | OpenID UserWorks like a charm, very stable and polished. Thanks!

, December 04, 2010, 6:35:50 | codeman862good... but you can still do all this by clicking the links on the side of the vista/7 start menu or by clicking "All Programs". Awesome though, help those not familiar with vista/7

, December 02, 2010, 8:16:58 | Just love it. I really hate the default menu in win7 So you save my rt7lite win7 install with classic shell

, December 01, 2010, 7:21:05 | One necessary component towards making Win7's UI less of an ugly, unusable mess.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]