It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:34 pm 

Hello and thanks so much for this amazing and helpful program!
I advertise it for free because it's soooo good.
I don't want to tell You why..and how...but I want to tell You something about psychology.
Yesterday I posted this website in Facebook, and told my friends how wonderful this program is.
I'm german, but this doesn't matter.
When the people go on the translation site...and mostly women and men want this program who haven't much
knowing about computers...and they see that the italian translator has a name with virus inside...half of all interested user kill the site...and think here are hackers on their way...This is psychology...and when You want more as 15 Million downloaders...in real it could be 25 Millions...then You should think about to tell Your translators to give themselves more trusted nicknames....otherwise the half of possible downloaders, users, and donating people will spring away because they think here are hackers on their way...
Lots of greets from germany...and from possible users...mostly women...but who are afraid from everything...believe me...it's childish...this name-game...I know it from the good old yahoo chat...and I know how many good
developers destroyed their hard work because of shit like this...in times of spamming ..phishing...hacking...and a worst internet....You make the biggest mistake You can make with names like bovirus...

I was a booter and cracker in yahoo...and nobody trusted my good websites in later times...believe me or not...but everybody who has a clean brain knows I'm right..in only this point...in others I'm a fool....but here I will help You....
Greets and I wish You a lot of success...I by myself make webdesign and I'm a man...but I saw the
great success in FB 200 people in 8 hours from friends who watched my posting about this site here...but if women or older people see names like virus..they never will download this amazing software and it plays no role if they come from Italy, germany, Poland, Russia..only the word virus in a website destroys the success...it could have be......greets n kisses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

These people do the translations for free, and in return they get to choose any name they please (as long as it fits within the UI). Also, how do you know bovirus is not an actual Italian name? I sure don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:12 pm 

Hmph :P, I hadn't even noticed that name.
Chances are 90% of people don't, and of the 10% that do, I would imagine most of them understand it is just a name, and nothing sinister.
Though It may be true that 1-2% of people may have skipped install, after noticing that name; I'm sure the fact that it has an Italian translation out shadows this though :P. Now if the name were Obscene/offensive I could see it getting taken down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:07 am 

Quote:
Ivo wrote:
These people do the translations for free, and in return they get to choose any name they please (as long as it fits within the UI). Also, how do you know bovirus is not an actual Italian name? I sure don't.

Jcee wrote:
Hmph :P, I hadn't even noticed that name.
Chances are 90% of people don't, and of the 10% that do, I would imagine most of them understand it is just a name, and nothing sinister.
Though It may be true that 1-2% of people may have skipped install, after noticing that name; I'm sure the fact that it has an Italian translation out shadows this though :P. Now if the name were Obscene/offensive I could see it getting taken down.

True on both accounts, but tbh, a lot of people have used name with the words 'virus' or so on in them when applying links to programs claiming to be good while actually being viruses, keyloggers, etc. I don't claim to know why they use such idiotic methods with the names, but over time it became a well noticed trait for virus infected programs disguised as something else to have somewhat 'fishy' titles, many of which have been known to have the term 'virus' hidden in the name (despite how badly some of them are hidden, lolz). For me one of the best ways to know if it's real or not is via my phishing blockers, and such. I also have add blockers active on all of my browsers for that same reason. Not to mention I use windows live for my more important e-mails due to it's built in security features being far better than what other e-mail providers have. All in all though, point being said, i do agree that people can be really stupid when it comes to hiding the nature of the virus or such in the title of the download, lolz.

Also, on that matter, the term bovirus, if you think about it, can also be a somewhat cryptic way of hiding the nature of a virus filled program by naming it after a type of virus (in other words, it could be used as the term 'bovine virus' but simply merged together into a slightly and very badly cryptic name). :P No offense intended there, the thought popped into my head while i was typing so i figured i'd kinda play around with that idea, lolz. I found it to be a kinda funny interpretation rofl. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:33 pm 

I agree that the name could give a somewhat cryptic image...

Quote:
a lot of people have used name with the words 'virus' or so on in them when applying links to programs claiming to be good while actually being viruses, keyloggers, etc

My Interpretation of what you may be referencing:

Its true there are often files with names like Virus.exe that are In-fact Viruses
And I believe they are generally 'proof of concept' type programs. Intentionally named to scare novice users away, because they have no purpose downloading such files anyways..

Then you get people trying to trick others into running the files just for kicks... Sure they could save the file, change the filename, and re-host it on some free uploader site. but thats not fun for them....

Any 'Virus' worth its salt, isnt going to announce its a virus.
with exception to scare-ware, there is no strategic advantage to doing so...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:37 pm 

Yup, that's the general idea. :P