It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: French localisation..
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:39 pm 

Hi,

I have tried to switch to french language and i saw that the settings still in english so i have decided i will help changing that...
I have been working the whoile days on the fr_FR.csv files and its ready now. But I am wondering if this is enough to get the Settings panel translated ? I saw the ini file L10 are already french transalted. I have translated the README FILE and the EULA FILE to FRENCH TOO.

I have been looking for an Fr_FR.Dll from my Classic shell installation directory but didnt find it... Is there one ? where is it ?
Or Do I have to make my own for having the settings panel translated ? Or the csv file is enought ?

Thanks for answering,
Xenus98

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

The settings are already translated in French. You can download the fr-FR.dll from here: http://www.classicshell.net/translations/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 pm 

Ok thanks, I did it... But Why it is not included in the installer ?? That is not user friendly... :(

Well I had a look to it and found some french errors, and some dialogs box were not well translated so I made some corrections.
I did not correct the string table.

I will send you my .cvs file, .xls file and OpenOffice file that are all the same copies. Its the fr_FR translation of your en_US one.
You will not be able to tell if its better then the one you have... so you may not want to use it. Up to you.

I will send you also the correct fr_FR.dll (corrected only the dialogs box) and you may decide to use it as is.

Thanks for your great software. :)
Xenus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:41 pm 

I may work later on the translation of the help files. Are they also already translated ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

The individual language files are often developed on separate schedule than the installer because they are done by volunteers in their spare time. That's why they are not included and need to be downloaded separately. You can download the files manually or from the Language tab in the settings.

Currently there is no French installer. With your help I may make one.
For the DLL I would prefer to transfer the corrections myself. Some programs for editing DLLs may corrupt them. Please make me a list of all changes you want done.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:30 pm 

Well I have been using Rez Hacker for editing the dll as you recommanded in the localisation file info. :)

It will be hard to tell you which modifications I have done... I ve changed some french errors, some bad translations, and some controls size because labels were too smalls... If I tell you which dialogs were edited, cant you just copy the script text of it ? Or do I need to do you a list of modifications ?

Its late for me now, will see that tomorrow but you can leave me detailled instructions on what you want me to do...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:34 pm 

And also, i dont think its corrupted as I m using it since I did modifyed it... :) Its work good. :pp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, if you tell me which dialogs you modified I can transfer the changes. I've seen some subtle corruptions in the dialogs that may not be immediately obvious. For example the "tooltip" style is gone for the tree control, which breaks the tooltips.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 am 

Btw Xenus98, you can also download the translation DLL from the Languages tab of the Start Menu settings dialog itself. Press the Check for Updates button and press the link to download it. When you press the download link, the language DLL is automatically downloaded and installed to the correct folder.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:04 am 

Thanks, i didnt know about that but I want to tell it is not clear at all that you need to download a file from there and that you have to click on that button for that.

From my user point of you, you are on a list of language and you select one thinking that eveything will be done just by selecting it. And thinking that the "Check for update" button is just for checking for an update and not for downloading a missing dll.... :(((

Its not clear at all for the end user. I think this panel should be redesigned to add 2 buttons may be. One for downloading the correct dll (and may be to automatically install it) and one for checking for updates that is a different thing...

Finally i did download it by myself from the website and did create by myself the ProgramData\ClassicShell\Languages directory.

:)
Xenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 am 

Yes feedback noted. The "Check for Updates" button can be named "Check for updated translations" or "Check for language updates" so the user doesn't think it's not a button to Check for new Classic Shell updates.

Or when the user changes a language, the check can be done automatically and directly the link to download the DLL can be shown.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:34 am 

Yes it could be already an EASY improvement!

But still the need for an automatic installation of the dll if it doesnt do it now (dont know didnt test it).

I dont know which installer is using ivo but i recommanded him to innosetup, its free and very good and easy to use!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:59 am 

Ok, just did it (edited the text of "check for updates of the language") and sent the dll back to Ivo. I think he will be happy. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:43 am 
Site Admin

If you change the language from the settings, the auto-update feature will also check for new language DLLs. The system is somewhat broken in the last few versions and will be fixed soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm 

I have the very regret to inform you that Fabien Comman AKA Xenus98 (translator to french for Classic Shell) is deceased :( :o :( on the 4th of June 2014
http://www.dansnoscoeurs.fr/fabien/1054465?Page=1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

I am so sorry to hear that! He was quite a character.