It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 pm 

In the new Version of Classic Shell, there is a new startmenu Option called "Classic in two columns". I don't think this is an original Name, because this type of startmenu Looks more likely to the Windows 7 menu (and does not provide the Features that the classic startmenu provides).

I think it therefore has to be given a new Name, because otherwise it will irritate the user. I could think of "Windows 7 menu, V2".

What's your opinion about that? Would you suggest a better Name?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

"Classic with two columns" is closely related to the single-column style. Everything is a cascading menu. It uses the same skins. Both styles share 99% of the settings and features. So I think it fully deserves the "classic" name.

The Windows 7 style is an entirely different beast. It has multiple modes (programs, jump lists, search), has variable size depending on the mode, has a completely separate set of skins, and has many unique settings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 pm 

The main menu only looks similar to the Windows 7 menu and that is because of the skin. The underlying style of operation/usability is similar to the Windows XP Start Menu where "All Programs" expands like a cascading menu. Earlier it was called the "Windows XP style" but with XP style, people will expect the menu to look like XP too which is a total mismatch for Windows 7/8 look. Hence the name "Classic with two columns". Is perfect IMHO.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 am 

i personally think that classic, and classic with 2 columns should be merged into one 'style' since they are so similar.. just give the option for 2 columns on one of the settings pages (and make sure it shows up with 'basic settings' selected)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 am 

It is to aid discoverability and prevent users from having to hunt around in settings, making it easier by preconfiguring menu items so less steps required for users. Note that the menu items are different in single column vs two columns. Many users never even change the defaults or can't figure out how to add/remove custom menu items.

The 3 styles are variants of the menu seen in Windows 9x/2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista/7.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.