It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 am 

Windows Insider Preview upgrade to build 14352 Sunday evening; reboot Mon morning disabled / removed Classic Shell.
Downloaded / installed CS 4.2.7 ... at each reboot, Win 10 says that it's blocked CS however Classic Menu still seems to be functioning properly.

While this is just a report of symptoms is there any way I can assist?
//al

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it, then save a system log, and send it to me.

It may be possible some old Classic Shell file is still present on your system.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:31 pm 

Attached is CS427log.txt ... let me know what you see.

Attachments:
CS427log.txt [138.76 KiB]
Downloaded 2148 times
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Everything looks OK. Does the error show up as soon as you log in, or 10 seconds later?
Can you attach a screenshot of the error?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:10 pm 

I live in remote country so I turn it off to save battery power overnight. The only time I see it is when I turn the machine on in the morning.
I can't screen shot it since it's pops up as a notification as the machine is powering up so to try to say it happens immediately or 10 seconds later is difficult. ESET for some reason appears to be delaying a lot of my startups, so I can't really say whether the notification comes up when CS starts or if it comes up shortly thereafter. As soon as I touch anything the notification goes away.
If no one else is seeing this, I'll consider it a minor irritation and live with it - one message a day is *not* a problem to me; even if you'd like to know why.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 pm 

AlJones wrote:
I live in remote country so I turn it off to save battery power overnight. The only time I see it is when I turn the machine on in the morning.
I can't screen shot it since it's pops up as a notification as the machine is powering up so to try to say it happens immediately or 10 seconds later is difficult. ESET for some reason appears to be delaying a lot of my startups, so I can't really say whether the notification comes up when CS starts or if it comes up shortly thereafter. As soon as I touch anything the notification goes away.
If no one else is seeing this, I'll consider it a minor irritation and live with it - one message a day is *not* a problem to me; even if you'd like to know why.

If all else fails, try taking a photo with your potato camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:43 am 

Just a bit of followup. Turned the machine on at 09:20; at 09:22 the "Comparability Assistant" gives notice that
"This app is no longer available
"Classic Shell was removed from your PC because it is no longer compatible with this version of windows".

Classic Shell however *IS* loaded and working properly.

Splitwirez - I'd have as much luck taking a picture with a potato as with the camera I have. Need film, batteries and someplace withing 500 miles that'll develop it so I can upload an image.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:40 am 

AlJones wrote:
I'd have as much luck taking a picture with a potato as with the camera I have. Need film, batteries and someplace withing 500 miles that'll develop it so I can upload an image.

...retype the error's contents in a post? Rebuild the entire message in ASCII form?

|_____I don't know, just...do something! D:_____|
|_________________________________________|

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:37 pm 

That's exactly what I did in my previous post. I have no notice except from the "Compatibility Assistant"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 pm 

AlJones wrote:
That's exactly what I did in my previous post. I have no notice except from the "Compatibility Assistant"

...right. Guess I missed that :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

So, since the Compatibility Assistant uninstalled something it didn't like, is the problem solved now?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:20 am 

I am having the same issue on all three of my computers...

as of 2 weeks ago it warned me of cs changing things it didn't like upon booting. I just ignored it and CS worked as expected.
As of about Tuesday of this week Windows outright blocked it from running. While it is shown as an installed program windows is still blocking it.

I suspect this is microsofts way of forcing use of their crappy menu.

Rodney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:43 am 

I just remembered that I managed to install Classic Shell 3.6.8 (?) on Windows 10 without it being wiped after doing a bit of MANIFEST editing...could that be the key? .__.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Admin

redheadedrod - what version of Windows do you have ? What version of Classic Shell?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:30 am 

Ivo, sorry for my late response - I'm bickering with HP about my laptop (my other computer).

Installed 4.2.7 without a problem. This is the odd part sometimes when I reboot the compatibility assistant complains and sometimes it doesn't. I see no logic to that. In either case CS continues to work without being uninstalled - even though I'm told it was ...