It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:49 pm 

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but I am getting 'full-size offset for sub-folders' disabling when I drag my windows explorer between monitors on windows 10. This problem was occuring in 4.2.3 and I was waiting for 4.2.4 to check if it was fixed, however the behaviour is the same in this new release.

These are my settings:

When I open windows explorer in monitor1 I have this example showing which is how the offset should be:

Once I drag the above windows explorer into monitor2 I get:

As you can see, the offset has been removed. Sub-folder offsetting is one of the main reasons I use classic shell, as I always liked the way XP viewed folders.

I'm guessing this is a bug. Any help on this appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Is it possible that you have the different monitors set to use different DPI settings?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:27 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Is it possible that you have the different monitors set to use different DPI settings?

Hi Ivo, thanks for the reply. I have been testing this further.

My two monitor setup consists of a 15" laptop @ 1280x800 (max resolution) connected to an external 24" monitor @ 1920x1200 (which I use as my main monitor). The offset is not disabled when I "slowly" drag Windows Explorer between either monitor. However, when I drag it with enough speed, the offset is suddenly disabled.

This did not seem to occur when I had windows 7 installed. I will have to mount a windows 7 image onto the laptop and test to confirm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like some reset of the UI is happening when you cross monitors. I believe Windows 10 allows different monitors to have different DPI settings. That's what may be causing it.
Windows 7 does not have that feature.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:40 pm 

I can confirm that the windows 10 dpi scaling is set to 100% for both monitors. I have both monitors set to their highest resolution. All other settings are at their default except for screen extension across two monitors.

Yes, there is some UI resetting going on. When i drag reasonably fast, the Windows Explorer screen lags a little at the crossover point (from one monitor to the other), and loses its folder offset. But with slow drag, no lag occurs on corssover, and offset is not lost.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:19 pm 

I tried moving them fast using mouse drag and drop but couldn't repro the bug. As a workaround, you could use Shift+Win+Left/Right arrow keys to move windows across monitors.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:47 pm 

GauravK wrote:
I tried moving them fast using mouse drag and drop but couldn't repro the bug. As a workaround, you could use Shift+Win+Left/Right arrow keys to move windows across monitors.

Thanks for that. It will come in handy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:06 pm 

Further testing. I modified Tree Item Spacing to -1 and repeated the tests. I found that the tree item spacing was preserved, whereas the offset wasn't. Strange.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 pm 

For what it's worth, with a 3 monitor setup (all 100 ppi, all set to 100% display scaling) I can't reproduce the problem.

The two monitors on the sides are turned up sideways (i.e., so they're taller than they are wide). Entire desktop is 4960 x 1600 pixels, display card is ATI Radeon HD 7850.

-Noel