It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scrollbar skinning info?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:45 pm 

Scrollbar skinning info?
I know this is late in the game, just putting it out there,
and I know there is only a very slim chance of getting any help on the subject.

I'm putting the finishing touches on probably my last Alien ported skin, ALX Morph (the grey one).
I just can't figure out how to get the scrollbar background shaft to work the way I want, like the original,
due to lack of documentation.

Is there anybody out there who knows the ins and outs of how the scrollbar works when skinning it?

I'm assuming Ivo is using Windows 7 standard code where there is normal, hover, and pressed states.
So the background is 3 equal sized images into one, much like a start button, but can be stretched.
I can kind of understand the action. The top 1/3 image is the normal static view, the middle image for page jump,
the bottom image does not do anything as far as I know, and does not look any different visibly.

What I can't figure out is how to have rounded top and bottom ends.
What happens is instead of showing once for the whole length of the background shaft, it is drawn twice.
Once for the background above the thumb button, and again drawn below the thumb button.
So instead of two rounded corners, there are now four. :lol: see picture

I must have tried every which way of having half straight/half round combinations on each of the images.
Can't make like the original. Could there be some skinning text to put in that changes behavior to draw background shaft once only?
Is this the way Windows always works and will be impossible to incorporate what WindowBlinds have done?

Right now I'm trying an experiment copying a technique from Splitwirez,
where the button, arrow, and shaft end is incorporated into the arrow image.
Not sure if it's going to work out too well with only 17 x 17 pixels to cram it all in.
If nothing works, I'll have to just make a normal square butt end shaft. :(

Attachments:
Scrollbar round shaft ends issue.png
Scrollbar round shaft ends issue.png [ 13.71 KiB | Viewed 24128 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 am 

I was about to reply to this, referencing my skin which pulled this off, but then I noticed you'd already thought of that. Good thing too, 'cause I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. I could probably spark some recollection if I took another look at that Longhorn Hillel skin...

...in any case, I can say two things for sure:
1. This isn't a flaw in normal Windows scrollbars, you could do this just fine in msstyles, no weird hacks needed.
2. I applaud your dedication to Classic Shell. Even in the face of imminent destruction and near-inevitable neglect, you continue making stuff for it, to the bitter end. I admire that. Bravo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:40 am 

Hi Splitwirez.
You have some professional looking screenshots in CSM Announcements page. The blue explorer window is appealing. :)

Rounded end shaft.
I managed to make it work half ok. Due to the curved ends are in the arrows image, the thumb can't go to the very end,
and the fake button has to be tiny. I will forge ahead and make larger images for 21x21 pixel 125%, 26x26 pixel 150% sizes.
Just have to QC skin a little before releasing next week sometime.
The funny thing is, the original menu never had a programs scrollbar, for it was made in XP days. :lol:

1. Ok, thanks for info. I missed out in the glory days of msstyles.
Looks like they could do anything back then.

2. If I go to one of the Github pages:

https://github.com/passionate-coder/Cla ... art/issues

I see coders are starting to familiarize themselves with Classic Shell, as well as laymen adding their thoughts.
I'm hopeful they can keep the CSM boat floating above the Plimsoll water line. :)

Attachments:
combo arrows image.png
combo arrows image.png [ 4.47 KiB | Viewed 24095 times ]