It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:17 am 

I'm fairly new to Classic Shell so hopefully I am not putting this in the wrong spot or just overall doing something wrong here, though I feel the need to ask for assistance in this case. I am immensely confused with the skin making tutorial, I've been looking it over for about 7 hours now and I remain as clueless as I was exactly 7 hours ago. All I was planning to do was add a Windows 95 caption to my Start Menu to complete that old look I've been going for, though I can't even get past the skin making introduction so at the moment my hopes to do so are lost. I am hoping someone can somehow assist with this issue with an explanation of what is to be done to simply make a new caption for the Start Menu in a way that hopefully won't confuse me to no end. I greatly thank anyone whom can help me with this.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:37 am 

You dont need to know anything about skin making to change the caption!

Right click your start button go to settings
Change start menu style to 'Classic style' as its the only one to support captions
Next type 'Cap' into the search settings.
Now change the only visible option to whatever you want the text to say
Hit OK.

Hopefully this is what you are looking :P If-not feel free to elaborate, or ask anything else.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:03 pm 

Well, that is helpful if I were to be doing windows 98 since it has an extremely similar look to window's 7's classic menu caption and banner, but it isn't exactly what I was wanting. If I may say, I was more so trying to get it to look like the image down below. I'd assuming it will take a knowledge of skinning to change the whole caption and"banner" I think it was called, to look like this. The issue is I cannot wrap my brain around how to do any of this.

Attachments:
W95Caption.png
W95Caption.png [ 685 Bytes | Viewed 19013 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:07 pm 

Download the skin from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4248 and copy it to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins. Switch to the Classic single column style and set the skin to the "Skins" tab. Choose Windows 95 in the list of variations.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:47 am 

You don't know how thankful I am that you showed me that, I partially wished I could have made one myself, but I am still extremely thankful none-the-less, this just puts my PC one step closer to looking like Windows 95. Now I just have to replace all of the icons (somehow) and figure out how to make other things such as the volume mixer look more grey and overall old. Probably of topic now, but if I may, before this gets closed for being solved (whether it be from an administrator/moderator, or from me, I don't know how this site quite works yet) may I ask if you know of any ways to change some things on a Windows 7 PC to look more 95-esque in a PM or something of the sort?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:09 am 

If your really interested in skinning, we are here to answer any questions you have, specific or obscure

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:47 pm 

I definitely would like to know how to skin in case I ever decide to go for a different aesthetic for my computer, or something of the sort. My only issue is I couldn't understand a thing the tutorial for skin making was talking about.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:57 pm 

Ok lets start with the basics, have you been able to open a .skin file in resource hacker? Modifying stuff like font size, is quite easy and most skins are commented so you know what each setting does. So the best thing to do is jump right in. The hard part is modifying the background, and spacing (for example to add a caption