It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:45 pm 

There is a hidden menu within windows itself that allows users to be able to manage saved networks. finding this menu requires the user to either first know about it, want to find a way to manage networks, scrub through tens of thousands of registry keys, or maybe just looking up hidden features of windows.

I think it would be real neat to implement the menu in the list of start menu items in the classic shell options. It doesn't even have to be enabled by default, just let it be there.

Here's how to add it:
  1. Open classic shell options.
  2. click Customize Start Menu tab
  3. right click an empty spot and Insert a new item
  4. Paste shell:::{1fa9085f-25a2-489b-85d4-86326eedcd87} in the Link box
  5. click Ok
  6. make sure it's set to Display as Menu (has to be menu, otherwise it won't work)
  7. click ok to save the settings.
  8. click start and click "Manage Wireless Networks" (unless you specified the label during step 4, if so, click that instead)
  9. You should see your saved networks. (right click one for options)
(Note: it seems that Classic Shell might malfunction until you close the properties screen of any network you are managing. ie: start menu might show up as completely empty, or wont show up at all. especially if you have more than 1 opened at a time.)

The backstory of why I think it would be neat is this: Windows 7 is and will likely always be my favorite OS. Windows 8 &^ are just ugly flat-looking colored versions of windows 3.1. they removed a ton of features such as the ability to manage wireless networks (technically not removed, just hidden). yeah 8.1 kinda brought it back but as a heavily dumbed down version. the only management you are offered is Forget network. I wanted win7 level of control so i searched the internet for "Manage saved Networks in win8 like in win7" and came across this hidden gem that I can add to Classic shell. no additional software needed. And i've been adding this menu to all my computers. and as you can see, that long string of hexadecimals is not exactly the easiest to remember. I was like " I wish this feature was just a part of the features that came with classic shell customize Start menu items ". and so here i am typing this very long and probably (but hopefully not so) boring story. sooooo.... yeaaah... i think i'm done.

Love you guys,
Just Jaki.... (not my real name.)
Cats are working for satan.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:57 am 

this folder doesn't seem to be available in windows 10 :(