It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:12 pm 

Classic Shell Explorer Bar is now always left-aligned. I placed it to right side, but it now depends of window size, what is not so good. Is it possible to make aligning option?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:22 pm 

The alignment is under control of Windows. Open any folder like Control Panel or Network Connections which has a menu bar and not the Ribbon. Right click the toolbar/menu bar area and unlock the toolbars, and move the Classic Explorer toolbar to the right along the same row as the menu bar. Then navigate from that Explorer window to a location where Explorer shows the Ribbon like C:\ for example and lock the toolbar. Thereafter, for Ribbon-enabled folders, it should stay on the right.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:23 am 

Hmmm... I doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:30 am 

That's normal. The bar can be placed to the right but the distance is always from the left border. You can drag it more towards the left to show more buttons and then lock it.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:25 am 

So it impossible to make it truly right aligned? Same as default Win7 buttons:

I never wrote explorer extensions and not so good with WinAPI, but I think there should be a way even if Windows doesn't support aligning natively. For example, there always one button visible as minimal part of the bar. What if try to make little trick, telling another minimum part to system? Like tell system false width of first button, when it sending messages for calculating layout?

Anyhow it's my feature request by possibility: not so handy to always move it.

Attachments:
File comment: A small fast-made example of what I would like to. Resize and play with its window.
Toolbar Layout Example.7z [720.36 KiB]
Downloaded 1597 times
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 am 

Gaurav wrote:
That's normal. The bar can be placed to the right but the distance is always from the left border. You can drag it more towards the left to show more buttons and then lock it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:35 am 

I have 4 other win 10 machines and the buttons justify to the right no matter the size of the window. Somehow, one machine now locks a set distance from the left border. All of my win 7 machines also work correctly. Obviously there is a setting somewhere that can fix this problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:10 am 

That setting is under control of Windows, not Classic Shell and Explorer has issues remembering its position since Windows 7. You can open Control Panel, press F10 to show the menu bar, right click the Menu bar -> uncheck Lock the toolbars. Now a handle will become visible to drag all toolbars from the left (a faint dotted line to the left of each toolbar).

When you mouse over that, the pointer turns into a double headed arrow. Adjust their position and close all Explorer windows. Reopen them and if the position sticks, then lock the toolbars.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 am 

Gaurav wrote:
The alignment is under control of Windows. Open any folder like Control Panel or Network Connections which has a menu bar and not the Ribbon. Right click the toolbar/menu bar area and unlock the toolbars, and move the Classic Explorer toolbar to the right along the same row as the menu bar. Then navigate from that Explorer window to a location where Explorer shows the Ribbon like C:\ for example and lock the toolbar. Thereafter, for Ribbon-enabled folders, it should stay on the right.

5 years 20 days later and still this post is helping people out!

Thanks very much! :)