It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:23 am 

This is actually a request to remove an absolutely annoying feature of Windows 8 by doing a better job in classic explorer . If I have a filename that does not fit in the explorer file menu, position the cursor at the right spot and press F2 to edit the name, the whole filename shifts and I start editing at a totally different position within the file name. This happens to me very often and is driving me nuts...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 pm 

Not understanding. Can you please show with a screenshot what the problem is? Anyway, Classic Shell is unlikely to help in this case because it is not possible to do modifications to the right side file pane of Explorer as the Win32 control it uses isn't documented. There aren't any supported ways provided by Microsoft to modify or hack into its behavior.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:38 am 

The scenario (that is still happening in the lastest windows 10..): in the right side pane, there is a file name long enough that it does not fit completely in the window. I want to change something in the filename, position the cursor on where I want to make the change. Then I press F2. The whole file name shifts, and the cursor is not at the original position anymore. Totally not intuitive, and very annoying.
But from your reply, I understand this is not something you can change...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:38 pm 

Try to install Folder Options X utility and check "enable icon reordering". It will enable another widget for the icon view.