It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 am 

I have noticed that many (most?) of the available custom buttons, are placed very close to the edge of the taskbar/screen (button size setting is irrelevant), and it does not look very good compared to the default button position. I am not sure what causes this - I know this can be edited but it has to been done on every single button/orb and it seems a complicated process. Not sure if it's possible at all with animated buttons.

The suggestion is to add an option to move the button a bit to the left-right (top-bottom for vertical taskbars). Here are examples with the default button and a custom button (most custom buttons I've tried are similarly positioned near the edge).

Default button:

Non-default button:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 pm 

I see what you mean, MenuPeak.
If extra invisible padding is in the image, that buffer space will shrink along with the button size.
If there was additional pixel padding option, outside of the button image, you could get what you want.
Not sure if it would look right when a button image is fully opaque?

Check back on the Boing ball post. I made extra invisible space on left and right of copycat Ball Rotate button.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:41 pm 

Thank you juniper7 for your kind response. I tried the wider file and it's indeed better in a horizontal taskbar, although in a vertical one it seems there's no difference. It probably requires a different kind of edit.

I was hoping Classic Shell would be able to tackle this globally, for all buttons and horizontal/vertical taskbars but it's probably not an easy task - at least not without a somewhat strict, set "format" for custom buttons. I don't really know.

If it's really impossible to implement, perhaps we could have a detailed guide on how to achieve this per button? I really have no idea on photo editing, adding/padding pixels/spaces etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:04 pm 

Just add empty space on the top and bottom of each frame.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm 

Splitwirez wrote:

Thanks, but like I said this request is not about fixing single buttons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:38 pm 

Well Splitwirez.

I did go back to that rotating ball and added top, and bottom space, the other day.
Adding horizontal blank space easy, 1 minute. Just cut image and paste on top of wider transparent image.
Adding vertical blank space not easy, 38 minutes for 38 frames.

I think the option request from MenuPeak is valid.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:35 pm 

MenuPeak wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:

Thanks, but like I said this request is not about fixing single buttons.

I never said it was...I thought it was already stated that the request had been shot down for Classic Shell, so I was just providing an alternative... ._.

juniper7 wrote:
Well Splitwirez.

I did go back to that rotating ball and added top, and bottom space, the other day.
Adding horizontal blank space easy, 1 minute. Just cut image and paste on top of wider transparent image.
Adding vertical blank space not easy, 38 minutes for 38 frames.

I think the option request from MenuPeak is valid.

Agreed.

So for that very reason, I've already accepted it for Start9 :mrgreen:
(I'm allowed to be a request parasite, right? :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm 

I think most buttons are designed with a bottom taskbar in-mind(atleast every one ive done), which means the distance on the top is usually not thought about
@fixing the image
yes wider is easier to do, because you just add clear pixels to 1 side..
but to make the button further down, you need to divide the image into 1/3's then add pixels (30 should do it in most cases, if the image is less than 100 pixels wide, otherwise 30% of the image size as a rule of thumb) to the bottom, then cut all 3 sections, and move them down 1/3 (or 10 pixels in this case), then select the bottom 2, move them down 10 more, and the last one another 10 (this should line it up with the bottom of the image now)
This can be repeated with animated buttons, however you need to divide it by however many frames the animation has, (and make sure not to touch the first 2 rows of the image, as they contain 'data')

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:40 am 

Splitwirez wrote:
Idk if this helps, but Start9's button format will ultimately include separate images for every Taskbar position and both Taskbar sizes (the latter having already been added and the former within arms' reach doability-wise)...

(Do I win? :lol: )