It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:26 am 

When I ran across the "Show on all task-bars" option in the settings, I got excited.
I remembered an old program (that I cant recall the name of) I used that allowed the creation of task-bars on all four sides to a desktop.
So after I looked around, I realized this was referring to multi-monitor usage, not creating multiple task-bars on a single desktop.

So that is my feature request. If ClassicShell allowed for the creating and customization of multiple task/start bars on a single desktop, that would be really neat.

For the record, I would use this feature to separate and organize quick access points via auto-hidden task-bars.
The bottom one would be for real time work, the others would separate pinned apps, games and work-program shortcuts, and also quick folder-access tool-bars.

Thanks for considering it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 am 

Taskbar on any other side of the screen except the bottom interferes with several UI elements which follow Fitts' law: the Close button of a maximized window in top right corner, scroll bars on the right edge, title bars/tabs in a browser like Chrome if at the top, and the window menu (Alt+Space) which can be used to close a program with double click.

Previously, Windows supported toolbars on other sides but they were only used to launch applications, not show running programs on different sides. The Classic Shell Start Menu is more than enough to substitute for the loss of toolbars on the screen's sides. Classic Start Menu has rich customization and ability to organize a complex hierarchy of folders using submenus.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:01 am 

Gaurav wrote:
Taskbar on any other side of the screen except the bottom interferes with several UI elements which follow Fitts' law: the Close button of a maximized window in top right corner, scroll bars on the right edge, title bars/tabs in a browser like Chrome if at the top, and the window menu (Alt+Space) which can be used to close a program with double click.

...and if the user is okay with this and would rather have this multiple Taskbar thing? Then what? (Just throwing that out there for consideration .-. )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:35 am 

Since I'm not here to promote another software I use, I will give you at least two ways to have what you want, one is RocketDock and the other is Rainmeter.
Obviously there are pros and cons for both.

I hope you don't mind for my topic digression...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 am 

Sadly rocketdock oly allows one bar at a time [although rainmeter might be a decent workaround]. However, ObjectDock [both the free version and the paid version] allow for multiple bars. So that's another option if you ever decide to look into it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:29 am 

I cited only a couple, just to not promote only the one I use... ;) :lol:
Luckily Rainmeter isn't a Classic Shell competitor, since one is a desktop customization tool and the other a start menu, toolbar, start button and Windows explorer customization tool.
They can live very well together.

That said, more than a workaround, Rainmeter can be used in endless ways, only limit is the fantasy of the creator.