It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:14 am 

Classic Shell certainly fixes the lackluster start menu in Windows 8 and 10, but I've always been wondering one thing:

How come isn't Classic Shell expanding sort of like the blackbox/bblean shell or like an entire desktop environment like KDE, Gnome or something? To replace all the Windows 10 crap that Microsoft has made and encompass all settings from the almost defunct Control Panel and the new Settings... thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Well, Microsoft had thousands of people working for years developing those features. How do you expect one person working at his spare time to do something of that scale?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:45 am 

Then I suppose the future of the software is already "charted" and it will only focus on the Start Menu.

I remember that in early versions of Windows 8, people discovered dormant leftover resources from Windows 7 and for a while you could bring back the Windows 7 start menu, the real thing. From what I gathered, in the future they removed those resources altogether just to make sure they enforce their "futuristic vision" on people.

Maybe there is some hope to restore resources or something?

And yeah, I get it - trying to be jack of all trades, master of none can backfire in such one-man project, I was just curious.

And if it wasn't for the games I was playing, I'd have migrated to Linux for good a long time ago, but all the hoops one has to go through just to make a game work through Wine as it should just kills it for me, and most online games with anticheat... they aren't even a possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:31 pm 

Well, the Start Menu is largely "finished" although no software project is ever truly done. It is a very mature project now, so Ivo could "freeze" its feature set and work on another component of Windows that needs improvement.

But then Windows has turned into a nightmare already. It's not worth fixing Windows any more because Microsoft ruins it faster than anyone can fix it. The atrocity called Windows 10 will destroy the PC market sales slowly.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:59 am 

I mean we can always hope reactOS is mature by then :P, and maybe someone could port classic shell :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am 

Ivo wrote:
Well, Microsoft had thousands of people working for years developing those features. How do you expect one person working at his spare time to do something of that scale?

here are a few hints

1: Calmira http://toastytech.com/guis/cal.html
2: Newshell on toastytech http://toastytech.com/guis/misc4.html

At where i stand most of the things are already implemented pretty good in classicshell its just the simple explorer interface needed http://toastytech.com/guis/win95startexplore.png
there are advantages in my eyes useless com based crap like rpcss and dcomlaunch , rpceptmapper will be turned off without microsoft crashing the taskbar , dwm.exe will no longer be mandatory
and the powerusers will get sleek computing back to them .
Standalone classicshell even if experimental is a great idea as it gives the user control of all aspects im definately rooting for that.