It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:28 pm 

Hi, what I'm looking to do is display the child items of the 'Computer' special folder in the main menu of classic start menu (classic skin).

There is no option to list sub-items inside their parent folder. This doesn't matter if I wanted to add singular items into the Computer sub-menu as that's easy, but it does make it impossible to get dynamic folder items into the menu menu - or add two dynamic folders together. Additionally sub-items as buttons doesn't work on the 'Computer' special folder, so this probably isn't as easy as listing sub-items in parent.

One work around would be to add every drive letter to the main menu, but this means empty entries for unmounted drives and it also takes longer to update on mount than items in the Computer folder do - I can open classic start menu 3 or 4 times before a drive path added straight to the main menu updates, while items in the Computer folder are always up to date.

I have searched using both forum tools and google tools, as well as browsed around - from what I can find nothing like this has ever been mentioned here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:29 pm 

Bump?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:57 am 

Right click the drives you want and choose "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell). There is no way to dynamically list only the contents directly of any folder in the main menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:09 am 

Gaurav wrote:
Right click the drives you want and choose "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell).

Thanks, but this still has the problem of unmounted drives showing.

Gaurav wrote:
There is no way to dynamically list only the contents directly of any folder in the main menu.

As in not currently possible, or can't ever be possible? Because I know it's not currently possible, but this is the request forum. If it won't ever be possible, well, at least the knowledge would be something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:36 am 

If Ivo decides to code it, it can be possible.

I use a Desktop sidebar gadget called DriveInfo for this purpose:

Attachments:
DriveInfo.zip [284.85 KiB]
Downloaded 809 times
Drive Info (Custom).png
Drive Info (Custom).png [ 60.47 KiB | Viewed 17395 times ]

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:02 pm 

PaulBags wrote:
Gaurav wrote:
Right click the drives you want and choose "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell).

Thanks, but this still has the problem of unmounted drives showing.

This also, because it creates .lnk files, means the right click menu is for the .lnk file and not the drive. This means not eject, format, etc.

For now I'm going to put my frequently used drives staticly in the menu and stick This PC under them, it's a reasonable compromise and I won't have to look in there as often (at the special folders that pop in and out even with winaeros tweaker [which wasn't a problem for me when I made this request because I was on win7 at the time]).