It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

Post subject: Real Classic Shell ;)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:17 am 

Hi Guys,

Is there a plan to really make a Classic-Shell? 8-)

What I'm thinking about is:
With Dism.exe you can get rid of the full new Universal-App for the Shell and Cortana in Windows 10.
Works awesome without problems. The half of the DataCollection part is gone. I have to make a compliment here to microsoft, their component store is working really great since windows 8.1.

Of course uninstalling is not perfect and have several flaws:
- no symbols anymore to start a program
- no symbols on the bar with started programs
- no quick info-symbollist
- no date/time

What still works is the right click where the start button usually is. So starting programs is possible. Also Windows-button + E starts Explorer and so on.

Now I'm wondering if you could provide not only the start-menu but also the rest of the classic-shell. Then it would really be a Classic Shell and not only Classic-Startmenu and adding some Functionality to programs like Explorer.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am 

hmmmm... this actually sounds like a really cool feature. I'd love to see this iplemented if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:37 am 

Cortana can already be disabled in Windows 10, so that feature is pretty pointless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:13 am 

If you fully disable and remove Cortana in W10, the shell does not work properly anymore. So even in Windows 10 LTSB you do need a part of Cortana. Even if you disable it, a part is still active.

As other functions of the newest shell are collecting really a lot of data it is useful to have a full shell. It is quite hard to really manage the collected data and to avoid collecting it. If you are able to remove these things, you can get rid of it at once without having a lot of work to lock filesystem and registry changes in these areas.

I'm not sure, but maybee it would be possible to add the shell package of windows 8 instead of the 10 . The one of 8 does not run yet as an universal app. Would be lots of testing. I think it would be safer to use W10 Apis and so on and build a new shell as the 10 is one.