It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:53 am 

Hi, could you please provide a means of hiding/renaming/deleting/organizing the Start Menu items that Windows 10 will warn you about because it considers them to be System Files, without the changes breaking anything? Their just clutter to an otherwise neat and orderly Start Menu. Alternatively a means of gathering them all under a single folder or something without Windows bitching about moving them?

I noticed that most of these System Files don't exist on my Start Menu, they only appear on my dads Start Menu. I am using Windows 10 Pro and he is using Windows 10 Home, both of us performed clean installs of Windows 10. We are using the latest Classic Shell.

Here is a list of items on my dads Start Menu that Windows warns me are System Files when I try to move them, rename them, or Delete them (Only the folders are an issue on my computer):

Devices Flow
Miracast Play to Renderer
Print Dialog
Settings
[Windows System] folder
[Windows Ease of Access] folder

Attachments:
20160227_214530.jpg
20160227_214530.jpg [ 161.12 KiB | Viewed 17858 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:44 am 
Site Admin

You can hide the files/folders you don't want to see.
As for renaming the folders, I believe most of them have a hidden file inside them called desktop.ini. It will let you change their display name (that's how they get translated when you change languages). Search online for "desktop.ini" to find what you can do with those files.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:42 pm 

Thanks for pointing out the desktop.ini file stuff, i'll give the folders a more proper look.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:53 am 

Devices Flow
Miracast Play to Renderer
Print Dialog
Settings

The above don't appear in "Customize Start Menu" for Classic Style and Windows 7 Style, they are only present on my Dad's PC. None of them have a Delete or Rename option in the right-click context menu and if I attempt to move them I get a System File warning that says a program may become unusable if I move the shortcut.

In regards to the folders I misread the warning message, except for [Windows Administrative Tools] they could all be moved though some of them required being moved twice to have all the contents move to the new location (The first time asking for admin rights, the second time moving without complaint). [Windows Administrative Tools] can not be manipulated as I lack the privileges to move, delete, rename, interact with it, I can run the shortcuts contained within it without issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:30 am 

There is a Setting "Hide app shortcuts" on the Main Menu tab which is checked by default. If you unchecked it, you will see these extra shortcuts (Devices Flow, Miracast Play to Renderer, Print Dialog etc).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am 

I figured that would hide the entire "Apps" folder, not those sparse app shortcuts that don't reside in that folder, thanks for informing me of the setting. I realize now that the tooltip when hovering over the setting explains what it does but the wording of the option it self made me not pay any attention to it at all because the wording to me implies different behaviour.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:16 am 

Hmm, so it wasn't immediately obvious that "Search" is considered to be a System File. The Hide Apps option does not hide it, is this an oversight/bug in Classic Shell?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Well, "Search" is not really an app. It is just some exe that opens the search UI.