It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

Post subject: Start menu size change
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 am 

Hello,

I looked through the options and I did not find any option that would allow having a taller start menu.

Can such an option be added to just set the menu to let's say 30 lines and it would expand to 30 lines tall?

Or simply a resize feature for the menu would be great.

Kind regards,
daniel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 am 

the menu automaticall resizes based on the number of things displayed, if you want it taller, you can either add more items, OR create spacers (drag the "custom command" item over to where you want the space on the CUSTOMIZE START MENU tab)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 am 

You can also increase the value of "Max recent programs" on the General Behavior tab in Start Menu settings to increase the height. But as Jcee said, it increases automatically too if you pin more items.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:45 pm 

Just tried both methods with 3.9.0 beta, and neither work. Custom commands will force show <No Text> and changing Max recent programs has no effect.

I don't keep many frequently used programs listed, but I would love to be able to use my dual-column Windows 7 start menu without scrolling under All Programs.

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

The latest version 3.9.1 has a new setting "Minimum menu height". Increase it get a taller menu.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 am 

Works perfectly, THANK YOU!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:09 am 

Pinned lists (on pinned items, like control panel, below) seem to auto-expand as described, but then there's no room for more recent, which AFAIK is the only way to pin more

I thought that the 'max' might be dictated by screen size...

but when I did a little test (inconclusive perhaps), classic shell on monitor 2 (+312px height @ 1020) still consumes the same real estate, as oppose to (default) Explorer's full-screen-v.sprawl - but still not expandable / 'unlimited'...

I see the right-menu recent behaviour behaves as expected (I love the 'use multiple columns', isn't it possible on pinned lists within pinned-items, ie left-side items)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:43 am 
Site Admin

I don't quite get what you are asking. If it's about multi-column jumplists, then no, that's not supported.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:26 am 

re jumplists, I'm wondering

1) Is there a max (on windows 7, x64, monitor 1 - 1366*768, ext monitor 2 = 1020) ie max pinned jumplist... it may differ from monitor to monitor (scale, resolution....), even OS (8 & 10 natively have issues I've read...), and from context to context (view a taskbar jumplist vs a start menu jumplist, with apps there are verbs also, plus separators... )

(see post below, re how the 'recent', and the 'pinned', combined, dictate jumplist visibility...)

1.1 (if yes ^) what is it, and does having a bigger screen have any affect .. effect make a difference?

2) can the classic jumplist max be made to be as big as windows (natively)?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Classic Shell does not have its own limit on how many things you can pin. But maybe Windows has.
The number of displayed items is limited by the size of the menu, which is limited by the size of the monitor. Just like in the taskbar jumplists.