It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:54 pm 

As classic theme has NOT been removed the text on context menus are not there anymore , is there an option to enable them? also a classic taskbar for classic mode would be appreciated.

Why not add classic mode for all of us who hurt our eyes on the horrid theming engine?

Would be great to add to classicshell now since classictheme seems to be discontinued. Here is the source
http://bertrand.deo.free.fr/TEMP/w8classic.zip

Seems to work with 10 but there are bugs with context menus and taskbar

Add to classicshell please.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:02 pm 

Last I checked, the whole point of a usability aid like Classic Shell was to make the OS MORE usable, not LESS...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:21 pm 

Why would classicshell be less usable with a fully functional classic mode?
Remember that what classictheme does is disabling the theme via a process thread upon starting windows it adds little other tweaks but Ivo figured how to make a startbutton purehaps its not a bad idea if he add context menus and classic taskbar as well and we will be running a classic desktop just like in windows 8.1 with classictheme on.
Whats less usable about that?

having this desktop on windows 10 would be perfectly usable to many of us https://i.ytimg.com/vi/y1q_nlcCjyA/maxresdefault.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:51 am 

Splitwirez wrote:
Last I checked, the whole point of a usability aid like Classic Shell was to make the OS MORE usable, not LESS...

Classic theme is much more usable.

I think Classic Shell should support classic theme at least on Windows 8.

There are multiple methods of enebling Clssic theme on Windows 8 (summarized here: http://superuser.com/questions/513492/h ... 417#844417). On is the IbmPad's utility linked above. The other is by using the Microsoft's utility "handle" and executing the following command:
Code:
@FOR /F "tokens=3,6 delims=: " %%A IN ('Handle ThemeSection') DO Handle -c %%B -p %%A -y

This will enable classic theme for all new applications.

Unfortunately Classic Shell worked well with Classic theme on Windows 8 only until version 4.1.0 after which point the support for Classic theme has broken. Thus I am still using the older version.

Since there are easy ways of enabling Classic theme on Win8 and Win10, many users opt to use it. And they are likely to use Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:14 pm 

powerplayer wrote:
Why would classicshell be less usable with a fully functional classic mode?
Remember that what classictheme does is disabling the theme via a process thread upon starting windows it adds little other tweaks but Ivo figured how to make a startbutton purehaps its not a bad idea if he add context menus and classic taskbar as well and we will be running a classic desktop just like in windows 8.1 with classictheme on.
Whats less usable about that?

having this desktop on windows 10 would be perfectly usable to many of us https://i.ytimg.com/vi/y1q_nlcCjyA/maxresdefault.jpg

I was referring to the current state of the Classic Theme on Windows 8 and 10. Or rather, the fact that many essential OS components (e.g. TASK MANAGER) are not compatible with it.

Anixx wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:

Classic theme is much more usable.

I think Classic Shell should support classic theme at least on Windows 8.

There are multiple methods of enebling Clssic theme on Windows 8 (summarized here: http://superuser.com/questions/513492/h ... 417#844417). On is the IbmPad's utility linked above. The other is by using the Microsoft's utility "handle" and executing the following command:
Code:
@FOR /F "tokens=3,6 delims=: " %%A IN ('Handle ThemeSection') DO Handle -c %%B -p %%A -y

This will enable classic theme for all new applications.

Unfortunately Classic Shell worked well with Classic theme on Windows 8 only until version 4.1.0 after which point the support for Classic theme has broken. Thus I am still using the older version.

Since there are easy ways of enabling Classic theme on Win8 and Win10, many users opt to use it. And they are likely to use Classic Shell.

I've had no problems running Classic Shell 4.2.something (I forget what) on Windows 10 with the Classic Theme enabled...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:12 pm 

Quote:
the fact that many essential OS components (e.g. TASK MANAGER) are not compatible with it.

Not a big problem, actually
http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1784

Quote:
I've had no problems running Classic Shell 4.2.something (I forget what) on Windows 10 with the Classic Theme enabled...

These are the problems I encounter on Win8.1 with the newer versions of Classic Shell:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4555

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:41 pm 

At least ivo could make support for classictheme so its detected when its on just the way classicshell detects an os and add classic looking features like whole new context menus and taskbar that look exactly like win 8 themeless version , the win10 features in classictheme are pointless when on classic .
I think will make all classicshell users happy at least us classic desktop users