It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:29 pm 

Hey there people!
I'd like to ask if there could be a way for the taskbar customisation settings ("Windows 10 configuration" tab) to offer different settings for the maximized window state. I'm thinking of obtaining a final look that falls somewhat along the lines of how android currently works sans the taskbar tinting (although that could be neat as well haha), as in a transparent taskbar when nothing is taking all the screen and a solid one when something is. As much as I love a fully transparent taskbar, it looks off with maximized windows.
I do realise this would probably be hard, if not unfeasible to implement, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Even if it can't be implemented would a way to externally access said customisation features, like from command line switches for example, be out of question? This is so something can be cooked up to serve this purpose.
Also, if there's something that works like this already I'd appreciate some pointers. Couldn't find anything on the web.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:05 pm 

What would be the purpose/functional enhancement of this change? Also note that Android does not have a taskbar that lets you switch directly between running apps, for that it has a task switcher. On Windows, one app can be maximized, other can be windowed, the user can rapidly switch between switch them. In this case, how will the taskbar behave? Will it change transparency every time you simply change focus to another app or open the Start Menu? It is not practical in a multitasking OS with overlapping windows like Windows. It will cause more distraction than be useful.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 pm 

>transparent Taskbar looks off with maximized windows
Thats because they arent 'properly' maximized.. If you check the 'auto-hide taskbar' setting windows will maximize over the bottom lip (where the taskbar sits) too

There are a variety of programs that can adjust the "desktop work area"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:35 am 

Gaurav wrote:
What would be the purpose/functional enhancement of this change? Also note that Android does not have a taskbar that lets you switch directly between running apps, for that it has a task switcher. On Windows, one app can be maximized, other can be windowed, the user can rapidly switch between switch them. In this case, how will the taskbar behave? Will it change transparency every time you simply change focus to another app or open the Start Menu? It is not practical in a multitasking OS with overlapping windows like Windows.

Um...yes it is. Longhorn 4074 proves that point :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:31 am 

Gaurav wrote:
What would be the purpose/functional enhancement of this change? Also note that Android does not have a taskbar that lets you switch directly between running apps, for that it has a task switcher. On Windows, one app can be maximized, other can be windowed, the user can rapidly switch between switch them. In this case, how will the taskbar behave? Will it change transparency every time you simply change focus to another app or open the Start Menu? It is not practical in a multitasking OS with overlapping windows like Windows. It will cause more distraction than be useful.

I should've been clearer, I forgot to mention I prefer to set my taskbar to always be on, hence, the transparency looking a bit weird when windows are maximized. No real functional enhancements, I guess, apart from maybe better visibility.
As for how it'd work, bearing in mind I have no understanding of feasibility here, for me it'd suffice if transparency were disabled on a focused fullscreen windows and only that. I wouldn't mind transitions while switching focus, even less if they can somehow be animated, maybe that's just me.
I do realize it's a really niche use case, but hey, I figured I'd ask anyway.

EDIT:
Jcee wrote:
>transparent Taskbar looks off with maximized windows
Thats because they arent 'properly' maximized.. If you check the 'auto-hide taskbar' setting windows will maximize over the bottom lip (where the taskbar sits) too

There are a variety of programs that can adjust the "desktop work area"

See above, I have it set to always display.

Last edited by lpchaim on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:28 pm 

I figured you did have your taskbar set to 'always on' I was simply explaining you could potentially make it look ok with a clear taskbar AND always on. by making the windows overlap the taskbar (though you would loose access to click anything on the very bottom of whatever windows were maximized)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:29 pm 

Jcee wrote:
I figured you did have your taskbar set to 'always on' I was simply explaining you could potentially make it look ok with a clear taskbar AND always on. by making the windows overlap the taskbar (though you would loose access to click anything on the very bottom of whatever windows were maximized)

Oh, right, now I get it. To make mine even more of an edge case I currently use it at the top as well, so that won't do for now haha. I do appreciate the suggestion and will consider following it, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:14 pm 

Hey, I couldn't tell exactly what the point of this thread was (I didn't completely understand the original post) but I believe that there may be some common points between this one and the thread I recently opened (I would have continued here but I wanted to avoid changing the topic of the thread). lpchaim, if this thread (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5619) looks to be the same topic as yours, you're welcome to add a comment saying you'd like the feature as well, just so everything is in one thread, if not everyone can just ignore this post. *fades into the darkness*