It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:52 pm 

Please allow the "All Programs" button/context-menu to be hidden under the Windows 7 Start Menu style for Windows 10 or at least ensure that ClassicShell does not disregard the group policy option "Remove All Programs list from the Start menu", which it is currently doing.

Thank you for your time and consideration! =)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:11 pm 

Classic Shell has its own set of policy settings. You can extract the policy definitions from C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\PolicyDefinitions.zip.

To install Group Policy administrative templates on a single machine, extract the files from C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\PolicyDefinitions.zip to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions

To install Group Policy administrative templates to a domain, extract the files from the archive to \\<yourdomainname>\SYSVOL\yourdomainname\Policies\PolicyDefinitions (Older Windows Server versions e.g. Windows Server 2003 may store policy templates in \\yourdomainname\SysVol\yourdomainname\Policies folder).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:13 am 

Sorry for my ignorance regarding this issue, but could you please explain how to set the group policy settings once the policies have been properly extracted to the designated folder? I followed your instructions that you provided earlier:

To install Group Policy administrative templates on a single machine,
extract the files from C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\PolicyDefinitions.zip
to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions

but how do I actually configure the policy settings now? Is it done through the gpedit module or some other method?

Sorry again for my ignorance.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:53 am 

Never mind, I think I found what I'm looking for. Thank you so very much for your assistance! I found the RTF that explains how to implement the settings in the C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions directory (in case others are ever searching for it).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:25 am 

Open gpedit.msc and under Computer Configuration or User Configuration -> Administrative Templates, you will see a new folder called "Classic Shell". All the settings are under it.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:10 pm 

Ok, I have gone through every ClassicShell group policy change, but I am still unable to hide the "All Programs" menu under the Windows 7 style menu. Can you please instruct me on how to do this? I've added images for the menu that I'm trying to remove and the current Windows Group Policy setting that's supposed to remove the "All Programs" menu.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Image 2015 08 26 002.jpg
Image 2015 08 26 002.jpg [ 108.32 KiB | Viewed 25913 times ]
Image 2015 08 26 001.jpg
Image 2015 08 26 001.jpg [ 12.22 KiB | Viewed 25914 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:06 pm 

In Windows 7 style, All Programs item cannot be disabled. Only in Classic with two columns or Classic style it can be disabled. See this topic on how to customize menu items & enforce them via Group Policy: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3374

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 am 

Thank you sir! I have already setup all of the other options using group policy successfully. The reason why I asked is because the standard group policy option, in Windows 7, "Remove All Programs list from the Start menu" works successfully, but since ClassicShell has it's own group policy settings it somehow bypasses this one and doesn't work. Do you guys have any plans of implementing an option to hide this setting or to simply allow the embedded Windows group policy option "Remove All Programs list from the Start menu" to work successfully?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:47 am 

What kind of organization do you work for that requires you to remove that menu? I don't understand who would restrict such a thing. And I thought my school was bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 am 

phly95 wrote:
What kind of organization do you work for that requires you to remove that menu? I don't understand who would restrict such a thing. And I thought my school was bad.

Vendor of fingerprint software for federal governments. We are only trying to disable the button/menu for non-administrative users...not all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Classic Shell is not intended to lock features for specific users. It is mostly all or nothing. A setting is either locked for everybody or editable by everybody.

The only way is to completely disable the settings for a particular user and make the user registry key read-only.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:27 am 

Starting with Classic Shell 4.3.0, you can hide All Programs item in Windows 7 style menu from Settings UI (previously only as a Group Policy).

Compare Start Menus