It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:50 am 

First, thank you to the development team that created this excellent app. I'm loving it more and more!

I'm not sure if this is possible or even feasible, though I thought I'd throw this suggestion out there. Would it be possible to group application icons into labeled categories within the Start Menu?

I know you can categorize apps into folders withing the Start Menu. Though, to be capable of having categorized app icons would be incredibly convenient. I mocked up a picture in Photoshop showing the feature I'm requesting to give a better illustration of my request.

Thanks again for this great app.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 pm 

you kinda can already, although the above text "utilities" would be a button that is clickable.. (which you could link to do whatever you want, maybe open a folder with more utilities in it)
I attached a screenshot

HOW TO:
click all settings radio button if u havnt
go to customize start menu tab
add new custom item
set its label
create another custom item below it
check "instert sub-items as buttons"
hit ok
create sub items for everything you want to add under it by:
create custom command, drag it right over your new icon, so its nested within
set its link/command/label/icon how you want..
press Ok, and then ok to save settings now test out :P

Attachments:
Previewd.bmp
Previewd.bmp [ 119.58 KiB | Viewed 16670 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 am 

Thanks for your response Jcee. I appreciate your solution, though I find it far to cumbersome, especially when you have about fifty apps and utilities you want to organize into categories. I was hoping the devs can implement a drag and drop solution for organizing app icons into categories within the Start Menu.

I've been searching for this type of launcher ability since the days of WinXP. It aggravates me Microsoft doesn't include something like this. Over the past years I've tried about ten different third party launchers, and everyone of them is fundamentally flawed making them useless as a launcher. Some give you the ability to easily create icons, but no ability to organize. Others allow you to organize, but lack an ease of creating shortcuts.

Hopefully the Classic Shell devs can create such a feature, as I believe having an easily created launcher that can be categorized will make this app highly desired.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Some sort of grouping feature is planned for the long-term. It is unlikely it will happen by the end of this year though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:43 am 

Just thought I'd bump this old thread to see if any more consideration has been considered for such a feature request.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:01 am 

@Copota, this might help for now: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3403 You get groups above the frequent programs list although it requires more effort to create the "separator".

Pinning into groups is a good idea but there are some considerations:

1. There is no place in the main menu without the groups feature replacing some existing list unless the menu is expanded to a third column. Some users (like myself :P) don't want to lose the frequent apps list (since it is automatically maintained) or the important folders on the right

2. Shortcuts inside All Programs can't be moved or renamed because uninstallers can't remove them if that is done, therefore they must be copied when pinning into groups

3. When an app/program is uninstalled, the pinned item becomes a dead shortcut which needs to be cleaned up manually. If a few items are pinned, they're easy to manage. If large number of shortcuts are pinned into groups (which is not a bad idea), manually managing them becomes tiring. Some automatic system to unpin them if the target no longer exists will be great.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.