It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:46 pm 

Hi,

when sorting items in the path Start, Control Panel, click to expand, list, I have two problems, one "bug" and one request.

1. You can drag and drop any item there to sort the list as you want, but after restarting, some items go to the last position.

How can I avoid that?

2. As you can see, there are a LOT of items right there, and I only use some of them. I'd love to be able to hide some items in that list so I can find Windows Update, Programs and features, Hardware and devices... faster.

Thank you for creating the tool that made me install Windows 8 and use it as I want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:27 pm 

You can create a custom folder, and create shortcuts to only the links you wish to see then use that folder as a base.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 pm 

Here's a simple trick you can use:
1. Open Control Panel in an Explorer window (not as a list inside the menu).
2. Now right click Control Panel on the Taskbar while it is open and choose "Pin this program to taskbar".
3. Close the Control Panel Explorer window.
4. Now hold down Shift and right click the Control Panel icon on the Taskbar and choose "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)" from the context menu.
5. You will get the Control Panel item in the Start Menu with a jumplist.
6. Now you can unpin it from the Taskbar but because of the jumplist you have for Control Panel, you can pin the items you want to it at the top. If they show up already in the "Recent" list, just pin them. Even if they don't, you can open the Control Panel in Explorer, launch some item so it will show up in the "Recent" list, then pin it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:31 am 

But I like the Start Menu as it is right now. I just want to hide items from that list.

Isn't it a nice feature to have?
A much more clear and user friendly bunch if items from Control Panel that each user want to have there.

And what about the "bug" of some items going to the last position after restarting (I don't know exactly what activates that action of moving Flash, Intel and Realtek item's to the last position)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:01 am 
Site Admin

The control panel menu is not supposed to be reorderable. What version of Windows do you have and what version of Classic Shell?
Hiding is not possible, because then how would you unhide it if you happen to need it?

Your best bet is to create a folder, put the shortcuts you need there, and replace the control panel item in the menu with that folder. You can customize the icon and you can slo make it so when double-clicked it opens the real control panel folder.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:07 am 

Ivo wrote:
The control panel menu is not supposed to be reorderable. What version of Windows do you have and what version of Classic Shell?
Hiding is not possible, because then how would you unhide it if you happen to need it?

Your best bet is to create a folder, put the shortcuts you need there, and replace the control panel item in the menu with that folder. You can customize the icon and you can slo make it so when double-clicked it opens the real control panel folder.

Windows 8.1 x64 and latest Classic Shell 4.2.1. Well, I think it would be great to customize only that control panel in the Classic Shell start menu, so what you hide in that list is not hidden in the Control Panel of Windows. You would need like another tab in settings with an option to show hidden items in menus, and once you see them again, you can right click them and make them visible.

Yeah, I did not think about creating a new folder in the menu and add shortcuts to it. I didn't think you said that in your last message.

Anyway, I think hiding items is a cool feature to have.

Thanks for the ideas!