It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 am 

This seems to be one of the only things left that Classic Shell can't replicate from the real start menu: On Windows Vista and 7, when you go to all programs or search for something, it gets shown in the left pane instead of a popout menu. Of course, having this be optional would be the best for people who still want a popout menu.

The only other thing missing, that I can think of is not having a "Pin to start button" option on Windows 8 when you right click on an executable or a shortcut.

Thanks for reading this and creating such a useful program.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:29 am 

in the settings, on the "Start menu Style" did you select "Windows Vista/7 Style?

Here's how to Pin Items to the Classic Shell Start Menu: http://classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:10 am 

Unfortunately, it would be hard to inline "All Programs" to the left pane now. It was a design decision made when Classic Start Menu was created. It conflicts with the customizability aspect of the Start Menu. Adding it will compromise other features. :) For example, it will impose limitations to the way you arrange your menu items. You can't place the Programs item in the middle of the second column if you wish. It will impose limitations to the skins - the area behind the programs must be solid color and opaque. So there is no evolutionary path that can go from the current classic start menu to the Windows-7 style start menu. It is not just a feature to be added. It is a complete redesign. The only way to do it is to implement an entirely different menu from scratch.

Not to mention that the inline style is rather cramped and requires unnecessary scrolling. It utilizes about 15 percent of the screen. Many disadvantages to usability. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 am 

Tenzen wrote:
in the settings, on the "Start menu Style" did you select "Windows Vista/7 Style?

Here's how to Pin Items to the Classic Shell Start Menu: http://classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61

I did, however, I was just wondering if the team would consider adding the option to the context menu of executables and shortcuts like Windows 7.

GauravK wrote:
Unfortunately, it would be hard to inline "All Programs" to the left pane now. It was a design decision made when Classic Start Menu was created. It conflicts with the customizability aspect of the Start Menu. Adding it will compromise other features. :) For example, it will impose limitations to the way you arrange your menu items. You can't place the Programs item in the middle of the second column if you wish. It will impose limitations to the skins - the area behind the programs must be solid color and opaque. So there is no evolutionary path that can go from the current classic start menu to the Windows-7 style start menu. It is not just a feature to be added. It is a complete redesign. The only way to do it is to implement an entirely different menu from scratch.

Not to mention that the inline style is rather cramped and requires unnecessary scrolling. It utilizes about 15 percent of the screen. Many disadvantages to usability. :)

I see, thats a shame. What about faking it with a shadow-less hovering menu in the exact same spot?

I think MS made a decent call inlining things from a usability standpoint. It makes for less repeated mouse movement to the right for sub-folders, which is worth the scrolling. Inlining it also makes it easier to move icons between folders and keeps it more consistent, being a tree view, with the rest of the parts of the OS that use tree view.

At any rate, thanks for a really nice program and the quick reply. Also, kudos to you for making it open source. (Maybe one day I can wrap my head around coding and learn how to add these things myself.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:28 am 

Pin to CSM works for pinning .exe executable program files & also works with pinning shortcuts as well, unless the shortcut is already in a pinned directory

is that what u mean?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:33 am 

I only see pin to start, (which is for the start screen) and pin to taskbar when rightclicking on an exe/shortcut. I have gone through the options a few times and I cant find pin to csm, maybe I'm over looking it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:05 pm 

its not yet Built in, but the Creator of Classic Shell, IVO, has given us this Manual method for adding "Pin to Classic Start Menu" Right-Click Menu Item:

http://classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61

Its very easy, here's the quick & dirty version:

1. Download PinToCSM.zip and ShellExecute.exe

2. Unzip PinToCSM to Extract "makelink.exe" & a .Reg File

3. Drag ShellExecute.exe & makelink.exe to C:\Windows, Click Yes to any Prompts

4. Double-Click the .Reg file, and Click Yes to any Prompts

5. Select as many files as you want to pin, right-click, select "Pin to Classic Start Menu", and watch the magic happen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 pm 

Great. Thanks to both of you for this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 am 

@webulator70, the latest beta has what you wanted. Inline All Programs and search and "Pin To" built-in.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.