It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 am 

Sorry if such topic already exists.
I have classic shell version 4.1.0.
I have 2 columns start menu and enabled show frequent programs. But a program appears in frequent programs list only if it's run it via start menu > programs. Running a program with start menu>programs link via desktop or explorer doesn't show it in frequent list. If i change setting to "show recent programs" then i see more programs in the list but if i clear recent/frequent list and run a program again via desktop or explorer, same thing as before: it's not displayed in the recent/frequent list.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 am 
Site Admin

This is the behavior of the start menu in Windows 7. A program has to be executed once through a link in the start menu folder, otherwise the menu doesn't know which shortcut to show in the frequent list.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 am 

I have windows 8.1.
So there's no way in the classic shell to see a program in recent/frequent list if i run a program only through desktop? Win XP shows a program in recent/frequent list in start menu if i run program through desktop shortcut.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Correct.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 am 

Well, then move this topic to folder Feature requests.
Another wish: when i open e.g. docx file, Office Word should appear in recent/frequent list.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:38 pm 

Yes tedomedo, that's a correct observation of yours. The Recent programs list requires everything to always be launched from the Start Menu for it to show up in the list. As for the Frequent programs list,

In Windows XP/Vista,
1. A shortcut to the app has to be present in the Start Menu
2. The app can be started from other locations such as the Desktop or Run dialog. As long as its shortcut exists in the menu, it will show up in the Frequent list even if it is run from Desktop or Run dialog.

In Windows 7, Microsoft changed the behavior so:
1. A shortcut to the app has to be present in the Start Menu
2. The app has to be started at least once from the Start Menu. If it isn't launched from Start Menu, then it won't show up in the Frequent list.
3. Thereafter the app can be started from other locations such as the Desktop to *rise* up to the top of the Frequent list.

Also, app shortcuts pinned to the Taskbar never show up in the Frequent list.

As for your second feature request, when you open a DOCX file it will show up in the Recent Documents list (which is in the right column and called "Recent Items"). Also, if Word has been launched at least once from the Start Menu, then when you open a DOCX file, Word will show up in the Frequent list and the document you opened will show in Word's jump list.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 am 

Try to upgrade classic shell so that menu start will be like in win xp. Is it possible?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:39 am 

I think it won't be possible, the reason being that the Frequently opened programs data is maintained by Windows itself and is stored in encoded form in the Registry. Classic Shell only reads it, it doesn't modify it. Ivo, is that right?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 am 

Never mind, classic shell's start menu is still better that win 8.1's start screen and apps screen.