It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm
Posts: 24
Dear Classic Shell developer(s),

I recently saw this:

http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#general_oss

which is quite sad IMHO.

Could you please make Classic Shell open source again?

I am asking this because I generally prefer software with open source code due to security concerns / trust concerns.

It also would be sad not being able to use Classic Shell any longer because the place you want to use it at only allows using open source software.

Some more thoughts:

Quote:

http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#general_oss

[...] some people have taken the code wholesale and are selling their own copies of the start menu with little to no modification. While this is allowed under the licensing terms, it was against the spirit of my intent. [...]

First of all: Why don't you just release it as open source but with a more restrictive license then?

Also: I have never seen someone selling a 1:1 copy of Classic Start Menu. Where did you see it?

I also doubt someone would buy it if they could get it for free. So I kinda ask myself how much of an issue that really is or would be.

It would be much appreciated if you could release Classic Shell as open source software again.

Regards


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 5333
I have seen at least 3 paid versions of Classic Shell 3, and a couple free clones. For example you can go to classicshell.com to see one such example. Those guys are even squatting on my name!

Also, if a place only allows open-source software then they can't use Windows anyway, which means Classic Shell is not going to be an issue :).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm
Posts: 24
Hello,

I understand your frustration regarding those things.

But please also understand my frustration.

One of the things that I always liked about Classic Shell was, that it was open source software. I wouldn't have used it if it was not.

Now it is closed source, which is why I already have uninstalled it.

By the way: I really don't like that you did not mention this change in the Classic Shell changelog/history:

http://www.classicshell.net/history/

Nowhere there do I see a mention that Classic Shell became closed source starting with version 3.9.0.

Why not?

As a long time Classic Shell user, I thought 3.9.x/4.x.x still would be open source and I only became aware of it being closed source just recently and just "by accident", by reading the FAQ.

I regularly read the changelog/history, but it was never mentioned in there.

It really should be in there IMHO.

Ivo wrote:
Also, if a place only allows open-source software then they can't use Windows anyway, which means Classic Shell is not going to be an issue :).

I understand where your argument is coming from. But, then let me rephrase the sentence:

It also would be sad not being able to use Classic Shell any longer because the place you want to use it at only allows using third-party applications (i.e. applications that are not installed already/by default) which are open source.

Regards


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 am
Posts: 5352
OK. As you wish. However I don't think you will find another high-quality free app like this. It had to be made closed source freeware because the internet is full of people who don't respect copyright, trademark or license or anything for that matter. They just want to cash in on something already successful and make a quick buck.

As Ivo said, there were multiple different "Classic Shell" installers, almost all of them hardly different from the original but commercial. Some others were bundling adware/crapware along with the installer! People complained after installing the wrong "Classic Shell" from elsewhere for bundling unwantedware with it. So being open source was also harming the original's reputation.

Besides, the Start Menu skins and graphical assets were always copyrighted even in the open source version, yet they were being distributed.

I don't see why this would be a reason to stop using it. Windows itself, isn't open source or anything. So you trust Microsoft enough to use their closed sourced OS despite how they treat customers and don't trust the closed source Classic Shell which is given away for free to help people.

_________________
Links to some general topics:

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm
Posts: 24
GauravK wrote:
I don't see why this would be a reason to stop using it.

The reason is: I no longer trust the software, especially not after this change hasn't even been mentioned in the changelog.

GauravK wrote:
As Ivo said, there were multiple different "Classic Shell" installers, almost all of them hardly different from the original but commercial. Some others were bundling adware/crapware along with the installer! People complained after installing the wrong "Classic Shell" from elsewhere for bundling unwantedware with it. So being open source was also harming the original's reputation.

I don't see why this would be a reason to change from open source to closed source. How does closing the source prevent this (or something smiliar) to happen again?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:44 pm
Posts: 1981
why not install the older version, as it is still open source, and has no major flaws (that I'm aware of)
Simply disable the updates :P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm
Posts: 24
Jcee wrote:
why not install the older version

Because I mainly intend to use it on Windows 8.1.

And Classic Shell 3.6.8 is not meant to be used on Windows 8.1 as far as I know (and, even if it works, which I have not tested, it still could potentially stop working with future updates of Windows 8.1).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:44 pm
Posts: 1981
Classic shell 3.6.8 Still runs fine on the latest version of 8.1
Though its true it may break at some point, the same could be said about the current version. If that day ever comes, maybe IVO will be kind enough to release a 3.6.8B that only fixes the issue preventing it from running..
Or you know since its open source.. someone else could.. :P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm
Posts: 24
Jcee wrote:
Classic shell 3.6.8 Still runs fine on the latest version of 8.1

Even if that's the case, it still doesn't have the features of the latest Classic Shell version.

Jcee wrote:
maybe IVO will be kind enough to release a 3.6.8B that only fixes the issue preventing it from running..

I would highly prefer if he would instead be kind enough to release Classic Shell as open source software again.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 36
Ivo wrote:
I have seen at least 3 paid versions of Classic Shell 3, and a couple free clones. For example you can go to classicshell.com to see one such example. Those guys are even squatting on my name!

classicshell.com change the name to candysoft.com
When you google classicshell.com, then find it, and if you click on it redirects to candysoft.com
They have "Softpedia logo" to the "I Start Menu" but softpedia don't have this software!

GauravK wrote:
It had to be made closed source freeware because the internet is full of people who don't respect copyright, trademark or license or anything for that matter. They just want to cash in on something already successful and make a quick buck.

I know one company that they have take a bunch of freeware utilities (for explorer customization), make a software, and sell it verry pricy!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 pm
Posts: 1
Ivo wrote:
I have seen at least 3 paid versions of Classic Shell 3, and a couple free clones. For example you can go to classicshell.com to see one such example. Those guys are even squatting on my name!


why not release older code as open source? famously John Carmack released game engines like Quake3 that reached 5 years of age under GPL.
I think you would probably be able to find the right amount of time?

Ivo wrote:
Also, if a place only allows open-source software then they can't use Windows anyway, which means Classic Shell is not going to be an issue :).


long story short, a replacement tool like yours has a chance to make things better in all respects.

people already feeling locked-in to windows should find a little bit of remedy.
using libre software here is a step in the right direction anyone can easily afford.

above that, something to consider. internet trolls not respecting copyrights are a bad thing. let me talk about free software instead of just open-source software. not respecting rights of your users is a step in the wrong direction. you can see that.

What about a release-old-code-as-libre-software schedule? You could remain on top financially and still eventually provide your users with great rights!


ps. please forgive username but you don't have tls/https


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:34 am
Posts: 227
Gaurav wrote:
As Ivo said, there were multiple different "Classic Shell" installers, almost all of them hardly different from the original but commercial. Some others were bundling adware/crapware along with the installer! People complained after installing the wrong "Classic Shell" from elsewhere for bundling unwantedware with it. So being open source was also harming the original's reputation.


I fail to see how it is connected to being opensource. If Classic Shell is closed source, they still can easily bundle and sell it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group, Almsamim WYSIWYG Classic Shell © 2010-2016, Ivo Beltchev.
All right reserved.