It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:51 am 

Hello there,

my request is similiar to the topic Export settings.
I often do unattended installations and it is great that Classic Shell supports that.

My example
Code:
MSIEXEC /i "ClassicShellSetup64.msi" APPLICATIONFOLDER="%PROGRAMFILES%\ClassicShell" /qn ADDLOCAL=ClassicStartMenu START_MENU_FOLDER=0 /norestart

Currently I must additionally import a previously made registry file to get my desired settings.
So it would be great, if there would be a new unattended option to import settings via an existing XML file., i. e.
Code:
SETTINGS=MyWindows7Settings.xml

Greetings
Kukris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:31 am 
Site Admin

This is not possible in the general case because the installer must run as the admin user and therefore may not have access to the registry of the regular user. You will have to save your registry key (for example HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings) and then apply it after (or even before) you install the software.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:31 pm 

I too have been frustrated by the inability of Classic Shell to auto-import settings. Saving and then executing all of the the Classic Shell registry keys has never worked for me. However, I created an Autoit script that will auto-install Class Shell settings for both Explorer and the Start Menu. You can execute it as a stand-alone script or compile it and compress it along with .XML settings into a self-extracting executable that can run as a silent install app during a clean install of Windows.

code for CS Menu
Code:
; this scrip auto-installs previously saved .xml settings for the Classic Shell Menu
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 4)
ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe", "-settings") ;Insert actual path to ClassicStartMenu.exe in the classic shell direectory
WinWait("Settings for Classic Start Menu","Show all")
ControlClick("Settings for Classic Start Menu","Show all","Button4")
sleep (600)
send("{down 2}")
send ("{enter}")
winwait("Load XML File", "Tree View")
send ("C:\PATH TO YOUR\Menu Settings.xml"); Insert actual path to your Menu .xml settings file
sleep (600)
Send("{enter}")
sleep (600)
Send("{enter}")
Exit

code for CS Explorer
Code:
; this scrip auto-installs previously saved .xml settings for the Classic Shell Explorer
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 4)
Run("C:\Program Files\Class Shell\ClassicExplorerSettings.exe") ;Insert actual path to ClassicExplorerSettings.exe in the classic shell direectory
WinWait("Settings for Classic Explorer","Current toolbar buttons:")
ControlClick("Settings for Classic Explorer","Current toolbar buttons:","Button2")
sleep (600)
send("{down 2}")
send ("{enter}")
winwait("Load XML File", "Tree View")
send ("C:\Path to\Explorer Settings.xml") ; Insert actual path to your Explorer .xml settings file
sleep (600)
Send("{enter}")
processclose("ClassicExplorerSettings.exe")
Exit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:27 am 

Version 4.2.0 beta and later of Classic Shell support a new command line setting "-xml <file name>" for ClassicStartMenu.exe, ClassicExplorerSettings.exe and ClassicIE_32.exe to import settings from XML file. The Start Menu settings are applied immediately (except some cold settings which require a restart of the Start Menu).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.