It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:08 am 

Hi, first thank you for the amazing software.

As part of organizing/tweaking my PCs, I pin common programs to the top-left of the Start menu. I noticed that I can't do something I could do with the real Windows 7 start menu: Start | All programs | (for example) SketchUp 2014 (folder) | drag SketchUp shortcut to the top of the Start menu.

If I do this with Classic Shell, the original shortcut is moved, not copied. My first workaround for now has been to make the shortcut first appear on the recent app list on the main Start menu first, which DOES allow me to "Pin to Start menu". Some programs, however, do not appear in the recent list for some reason, in which case my other workaround is to create a shortcut on the desktop and then moving THAT shortcut to the top-left of the Start menu.

Hopefully this made sense...

--EW

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am 
Site Admin

You can do 2 things:
1) Hold down Ctrl to make a copy of the shortcut
2) Right-click and choose "Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)"

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:34 am 

Which version of Classic Shell are you using? If not the latest then please upgrade to the latest Classic Shell. I can't verify the behavior that you say is happening. When I drag an item in the latest version, a shortcut gets copied, not moved.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:00 am 

GauravK wrote:
Which version of Classic Shell are you using?

I'm using 4.1.0. You click on All Programs and then when you drag one of the items it doesn't say "Move"?

Ivo wrote:
You can do 2 things:
1) Hold down Ctrl to make a copy of the shortcut
2) Right-click and choose "Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)"

Ingenious! I really like the second option. STILL, Classic Shell should duplicate the behavior of Windows 7 in this regard. Moving the shortcut (by default) makes little sense...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:42 am 

For me when I drag something from All Programs to the Pin area, it says "Pin to Start Menu", not Move. If I hold down Shift while I drag, only then it says Move. If I hold down Ctrl while I drag, it says Copy. That's the way it's designed. I don't get how you get Move without holding down Shift key.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:48 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
I don't get how you get Move without holding down Shift key.

For me it shows "Move" if I just drag (no keys pressed) on both my Windows 8 and Windows 10 machines (running v4.2.5). Classic Shell was installed for the first time today on the Windows 10 machine. I have no idea how it could behave differently on your installation! I was actually curious enough to follow-up two years late. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:12 pm 

Set the default drag and drop action in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7: http://winaero.com/blog/set-the-default ... windows-7/ That Registry value determines the drag action - move, copy or shortcut.

Compare Start Menus