It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:02 am 

Love the Recently Used Programs, with the "Remove from this list" and "Clear recent items list" features.

Another great part is ... the list displays however many items you configure. When you Remove an item, the next-most-recently-used item is restored to the list, because it had been previously bumped off, but CS still remembered it. Love that.

Could this feature set be added to the Recently Used Documents list?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 am 

By "Recently Used Documents" list, you mean the unified one called "Recent Items" right and not jumplists? In that list, focus on an item and press Delete key on your keyboard to remove that item. Right click on "Recent Items", and "Clear recent items list" is there. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:41 pm 

No, I mean the MRU Documents list pointed out in the graphic.

In this list, when I highlighted an item and pressed the Delete key, the actual file was deleted, along with the MRU shortcut.
I wish this list would behave like the MRU Programs list in the upper left. Don't know what JumpLists are. Using version 3.6.2.

Last edited by JR71 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

The file shouldn't be deleted, only the shortcut to it in the Recent Items folder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:24 pm 

You're right. The test below confirms Delete key on highlighted MRU Documents item removes only the MRU shortcut, not the file. (Don't know where my previous missing file is.)

However this is a side issue which should not distract from the feature request.

Testing procedure. The file under test is named C:\Test.TXT
Keep a file browser open to monitor changes to test file's directory entry
Use file browser to create new test file, confirm file exists
Confirm test file is not listed in Classic Shell's Documents list
Use file browser to open existing test file
Add content to test file and close it, confirm FileDateTime and FileSize are updated
Confirm test file is listed in Classic Shell's Documents list
Use Classic Shell's Documents list to open existing test file
Chance content in test file and close it, confirm FileDateTime and FileSize are updated
Use Classic Shell's Documents list to highlight test file and press Delete key
Confirm file is not deleted
Test Result: Successful. Highlighted MRU entry was removed and test file still existed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

If deletion of items works correctly, I don't understand what is the feature request.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 pm 

This list, pointed out in the graphic, does not have the "Clear recent items list" feature.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

It is if you right-click on Documents. It is implemented by the system, not by Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm 

Aha, yes, a "Clear Recent Items List" feature is implemented by Windows Start Menu for the MRU Documents list. It is different from the similar feature in Classic Start Menu's MRU Programs list because it's not available by right-clicking on a list detail item; instead, it is available by right-clicking on the list header item, labeled "Documents". Show and Tell:

When I hover the mouse over "Documents", I get this menu (Docs list is empty):

When I right-click "Documents", I get this menu:

Did you say there was a Folder containing the MRU Documents items? Where is it so I can browse it directly?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

When I right-click on mine the first command is Open, and is bold. That would open the folder in Explorer.
For some reason in your case the Open command is hijacked by Super JPG.
You can try double-clicking on Documents. Maybe that would open it.
You can also navigate to the folder directly. By default it is here: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:18 pm 

Yep, "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" is what I was looking for.
Double-clicking on Documents also launches SuperJPG. Lots of shortcuts launch SuperJPG; my Vista is pooch-screwed that way; "My Computer", "Network and Security Center", "Control Panel" ... There's a system GUID for these items that now points to SuperJPG for some reason; cannot find any fix that works. I feel this is my fault, not SuperJPG's fault. This misbehavior did not begin when I installed SuperJPG; it did begin after I uninstalled some things and used CCleaner's registry fixer without rebooting. Oh well, this is why people still reinstall Windows every year.