It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:23 pm 

The explorer details view in Windows XP has a much smaller line spacing than in Windows 7. Classic Explorer in Windows 7 has the same line spacing as Windows 7 explorer. I can configure the line spacing in the navigation pane tree view. I would appreciate to have the same possibility (or at least the XP line spacing) with the details view in the files view window. Possible?

--modifications to the ExplorerFrame.dll XML-Header don't work with classic explorer active.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Classic Explorer is not a replacement for Windows Explorer, it is just an add-on.

Are you sure the modifications to ExplorerFrame.dll work without Classic Explorer being installed? It shouldn't make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:57 pm 

@Horst, try the app called Folder Options X. It will reduce the spacing by forcing the older ListView control in Explorer (except for Libraries): http://free-sk.t-com.hr/T800soft/softwa ... ptions.htm

Note that third party app recommendations are only for your convenience and Classic Shell bears no responsibility whatsoever for them.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:52 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Classic Explorer is not a replacement for Windows Explorer, it is just an add-on.

Are you sure the modifications to ExplorerFrame.dll work without Classic Explorer being installed? It shouldn't make a difference.

@Ivo,
thank you for making me doublecheck. I modified the wrong entry.
You are right, now it works :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:08 pm 

GauravK wrote:
@Horst, try the app called Folder Options X. It will reduce the spacing by forcing the older ListView control in Explorer (except for Libraries): http://free-sk.t-com.hr/T800/software/FolderOptions.htm

Note that third party app recommendations are only for your convenience and Classic Shell bears no responsibility whatsoever for them.

@
GauravK

Thank you for the hint. Did the download and will try... :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:07 pm 

I was just researching this. Folder Options X works like a charm, thanks a lot for the tip. Damn, getting Windows 7 to a usable state really is a quest by itself..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 pm 

GauravK wrote:
@Horst, try the app called Folder Options X. It will reduce the spacing by forcing the older ListView control in Explorer (except for Libraries): http://free-sk.t-com.hr/T800/software/FolderOptions.htm

@
GauravK

Thank you for the tip. It really works great! :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:39 pm 

GauravK wrote:

I downloaded Folder Options X, but I am not sure what to select, since there is no Help with it.
The choices are to uncheck:
'Disable full row select'
'Column headers in all views'
Enable icon reordering'
'Keep focus on file list view'

Which do I uncheck?

Also there was a note about having third party browser extensions enabled in order to make the program work. I did not understand what that had to do with reducing the spacing of Windows Explorer entries.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 pm 

In Folder Options X, you can check any of the first 3 options - all of them force Explorer to use the older ListView control which has narrower spacing. You will have to close and reopen any Explorer windows after you turn on the option in Folder Options X.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 am 

I cannot answer your question about the third party browser extensions - I just don't know.

In some cases you will have to log off/on to get the un-/selected options in-/active.

Select the options that best fit your preferences.

Following I tried a short description of the options from my experience:

Folder Options X 1.6.0.0 Help

Disable full row select
Enables the main feature to reduce the line spacing in details view as it was with Windows XP.
Selects also the option "Enable icon reordering".
Disables the Windows 7 feature to select a complete line in details view as it was with Windows XP.

Remark:
In Windows 7 you can activate this feature but then you cannot unselect an object by clicking in white space in the explorer window details view. It always selects the object displayed in this line. You only can unselect by clicking in the white space on the left margin of the line. This white space disappears with this option of the tool activated.

Column headers in all views
Displays always the headers of the details view regardless of the view selected (e.g. symbols view).
Selects also the option "Enable icon reordering".

Enable icon reordering
In symbols view you can reorder the symbols by click & drag as it was with Windows XP. In Windows 7 this feature is not available anymore. This option can be activated independently but it will be forced active when "Disable full row select" is activated.

Keep focus on file list view
With this option active you can only select objects in the file list window of explorer. You still can click on objects in the navigation pane but they will not be selected. Nevertheless the clicked folder contents will display in the file list window.

---

Best regards,
Horst

Last edited by Horst on Sat May 03, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:20 pm 

Horst & GauravK:

Thanks for all the information. After testing the various combinations, I decided to use the following three:
'Disable full row select'
'Column headers in all views'
Enable icon reordering'

They gave me what I was looking for.

Horst, your descriptions were a great help in my understanding what each did. There is a small difference from what you wrote. If you select 'Column headers in all views' you are forced to also get 'Enable icon reordering'.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:51 am 

Harry,

Thank you for your friendly response! :D

You are right, there is a little mistake in my description.
I didn't realize that because it was already selected.
Great to have careful readers. :P

Horst